Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RICKENBACKER 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SUNBURST, Sep 14, 2002.

1. SUNBURST

SUNBURST

Sep 14, 2002
    Along with the Fenders I am intrigued by the Rickenbacker 4003 Model. This looks like the same one I remember that was used in the 60s. I think that Paul Mcartney used this model with the early Beatles. My questions are 1. Are they worth the high asking price. 2. How is the quality, is it comperable to the early ones. 3. What is the lowest price anyone has found on these in brand new condition and on which site (most want you to e-mail for a quote). 4. Where the heck are these made. Thanks Much.:p

2. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    McCartney used the RIC from '66 on.
    1. Definitely!
    2. Great!
    3. I got my '01 4003 new at MARS for $975.
    4. Santa Ana, California

3. I owned a 4001 back in the eighties, and I really don't see an appreciable difference between it (it was a '77) and my 2002 model 4003. They certainly sound the same. If the neck is bigger, I'm not noticing it--but then again, I've always felt the Rickenbacker has a fast neck, anyway. In its own way, it's just as fast as my J-bass.

As I said in another post, I got mine from Musiciansfriend.com. I tried to buy one in my local Guitar Center, but was told they were on back order and there was no telling when I might get one.

Musiciansfriend didn't have the cheapest price, but they did price match, so I wound up paying $995 for it. I went through them primarily because they were the only ones who had one in midnight blue--the website that was selling them for $995--zzounds.com--only had fireglo, jetglo, and mapleglo.

Nothing is like a Rickenbacker, though. It's definitely worth a grand to own one again.