1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rickenbacker 4003??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lee Joyce, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Lee Joyce

Lee Joyce

Mar 24, 2013
    Nuneaton, UK
    Hi everyone, I'm toying with the idea of buying a rickenbacker 4003. I play in a rock/mod style band. We play our own songs and a big range of covers. How would this bass rate up against a fender jaguar bass that i play now.:meh:

2. Fretlessbaby

Fretlessbaby Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Nothing beats a Rickenbacker. Just my opinion.

3. jason weatherby

jason weatherby

Aug 30, 2012
    Ricks ROCK !

4. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    It will probably take some getting used to as it will feel completely different in many regards. Decades ago, I switched from a Japanese Höfner Beatle bass copy to a full-dress 4001. That was going from a relatively lightweight (but not as light as a REAL Höfner), short-scale bass with flat-wound strings to a heavyish (they average around nine pounds), full-scale bass with round-wound strings. My hands ached and fingers blistered, but after a while I got used to the feeling. I've owned more than 20 Ricks in the last 10 years, along with three genuine German Höfners. Now the Höfners feel like fragile toys made for little hands. To me, a Rick is THE standard.

There are Rick lovers and Rick haters. I am a Rick lover. Duh!

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Rick compared to a short scale, Asian made Fender. Hmm.... lol

6. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

Can't go wrong with a Ric! But if you are buying new please be careful where you buy it from. Check out the Ric forum here on TB

7. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    I can tell you that for your original rock that I think you'll love the RIC. But for your covers, it may be hard to find a tone that matches the song. RICs are phenominal but you should keep a Fender style bass around too for when you want THAT sound.

I had a RIC and sold it and I miss it all the time.

Good Luck!

8. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    Welcome to Talkbass BTW~!

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

My band is almost all covers. I have no problem sounding however I need to. I think the "One trick pony" reputation is extremely over rated. The problem usually is because people do not understand how to utilize their own gear.

10. Rics are wonderful instruments. I warn you though, they feel like no other. It is it's own beast, but it can preform well in just about any type of music. Look up some videos on Youtube.

11. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    My story is fairly common. Always lusted after a Ric. About 25 years into my playing journey I finally got a new '08 JG 4003. Wanted to love it. Just couldn't. I feel most comfortable behind a StingRay 4, a P, and a Jazz in that order. Sold the Ric. Glad I got that out of my system and off my mind for good. YMMV

12. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    Well, they definitely got a unique look going for them and most of them have a nice sound as well. But seriously, if you're just looking for good playability and sound there are better basses out there that cost less.

For one, they dont have a pickup for you to anchor onto, if your playing style revolves around that. Plus, the pickup cover just gets in the way(thank god its removable). And last but not least, they have got the best looking but most retarded bridge of all basses I have owned. You cant adjust the saddles individually and you cant palm mute plus it is not as sturdy as conventional bridges, go figure.

All in all, I see ricks as work of art. You bring it out, and people will notice the unique design and nifty fretboard inlays and they'll tell how sexy it looks. But I'll always deem as a bass designed out of fashion rather than function.

My advice would be, dont go into the shop with a certain bass in mind. Play every single one in the room and pick the one that speaks to you.

Heres what happened to me recently, while waiting for a friend to arrive I had some time to spare so I went to the nearby guitar shop and fooled around w some basses.

I tried the am std pbasses first, and I have to say Im not too impressed. Played the am std jazz and thought they were nothing special as well. I decided to pickup a classic vibes squier pbass just for fun. And damn, that thing plays better than the american stds that costs twice as much. No kidding, plus it is lighter as well and it doesnt sound any worse.

Go figure.

13. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    Oh no I think you're misreading me. I dont think that they are a one trick pony AT ALL. And I really love the sounds that they make. It really depends on the covers that you are playing also but there will still be a need for MOST bass players to always have a Fender style bass around. I dont disagree with you at all.

14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

Many players across all genres feel the need to have a Fender around. I am not one of them, but I understand why they are.

15. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    yeah, a Lakland or sadowsky would do just fine:bag:

16. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Ric 4003s are heavy, neck divey, often have tailpiece and finish problems, can be hard to locate at a fair price (around $1500 new), and the neck profiles vary widely between different years and even different individual basses.

But I love them anyway.
    Get one with a nice neck and plug it into an SVT with a little bit of dirt.
    The only way to know is to try it for yourself.

Oh yeah they hold their value well too.
    You could probably find a brand new one for $1500 and flip it for a couple hundred dollars profit on ebay. Is that ethical?

And the new Ruby Red is stunning.

17. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Try it out before you buy . There are those that don't like the feel . You might be one .

I love a nice Ric and find them very comfortable .

18. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    There is always this, made by a TB'er
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Zero-Mod-Thumb-Rest-for-Rickenbacker-4003-or-4001-Bass-NO-Modifications-/221092979833?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item337a2b2479
    $(KGrHqVHJCEE9EGdKqp)BP(tZDYhgQ~~60_1.

There you go with your common sense again. Good Job!

19. mcn1979

mcn1979 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Newport News, VA
    Rics are amazing basses. Solid, killer tone, great playability, and look amazing. I have a 2003 (4003) and love the thing to death. I recently sold my MIA Pbass (and I love Fender) because I grab the Ric over it.

20. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    Well, I personally find the treble bezel more pleasing to the eye . Anyways, I dont need any anchor to play my basses Im just highlighting the possible problems the OP might encounter : ))

But pickup anchor or not, cant argue that the bridge design is kinda silly. You would've thought they'd have it figured out by now...

Only reason I see them maintaining the design is prolly due to 'tradition'. something the rick fanboys try so hard to protect:rollno: