Rickenbacker 4003 ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_giant, Jan 2, 2001.

1. bass_giant

Jul 31, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Have any one tried this ? I feel some interest on it...Which kind of sound can it give me ? Is that need the Ric-O-Box to grooving it ?
  2. do a search on rickenbacker you will find tons of info
  3. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    They are very nice basses in terms of quality and workmanship, but their sound is not for everyone. It is very unique sounding and most people either love it or hate it. That said, try before you buy so you don't end up dissapointed. I think they are awesome and plan on getting one in the next few fonths. They are great if you are looking something that is the complete opposite of a Fender precision. good luck!
  4. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
  5. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    My first 4003 should be here today or tomorrow. The UPS tracking system on the web does not provide enough information. If only they had choppers fly over the trucks and broadcast it driving cross country, then I'd be happy. I'd stay home from work and watch it drive here. To me, that would be compelling TV, I'm that excited. And yes, I've played them. Great neck and low action.
  6. i hate that waiting stuff, tell us about the 4003 you got.
  7. bass_giant

Jul 31, 2000
    Hong Kong
    My near music store has the 4004 model, is that mean if i like it's sound, then i'll like the 4003's sound ?

Is 4003 can't grooving on if it's without the Ric-O-Box ?
    Use the Ric-O-Box need 2 amps ?
  8. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I think the Ric-o-box thing a majig is just like a crossover sort of thing/stereo thing so that you can put the highs & lows in a different cabs/amps. This might not be entirely accurate but its gotta be close. Thats all
  9. The Ric o Sound box just splits each p-up to their own separated output. The box has a (not quite long enough) fixed stereo cable, which goes to the first output on the Bass, then two further output jack sockets to go to each amp or a dual chan amp.

I have one but don’t find it very useful apart from maybe large venues where you would want to use two amp set-ups. Ok if you keep both volumes up, and central on the selector, but if you forget and select just one p-up you loose your sound completely from one of the amps.

Better and easier IMO to come out mono and slave the amps together, you can still have a different EQ on each amp if you want to compensate for hi's & low's plus use any p-up combination without a drop in sound.

Sorry Mr Rickenbacker!! I ordered mine from the U.S. waited a long time for it, paid extra import tax, vat duty etc and of course shipping and found it a bit of a disappointment. :D

Anyone out there who actually use one successfully for live

10. I didn't bother with a Ric-o-Sound box and just used a stereo 1/4" jack to 2x1/4" mono jacks.

It's the kind of thing you could spend an eternity figuring out the different combinations. And it's pretty useless if you run stuff through a pedal board (unless you run one p/u to the board, the other dry).

But like Spike, I now just mono into the head from the pedals and parallel connect into the bright channel, and mix the two sounds that way. I think Ric pickups on their own sound too tinny - the real Ric sound comes alive when you run both together.
  11. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I was throwing around getting one with Spike in the other Ric thread but decided to pass also. I figure why double my Equipment (and back pain;) and I love the sound of my RIC mono straght into my Ampeg SVT cranked and I would rather have the sound of both pups instead of one to one amp and one to another. Maybe it would be cool for the studio but other than that i think it woud be a pain in the A#*.
  12. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Well, I think I am now the newest 4003 owner in the Forum and here is my report. Came in last night. Like most people say, it has a great midrange growl. The tone is really clear and piano-like. Yep, bigtime sustain. I have small hands and love the thin neck. I was pulling the G string off the fretboard a little but I think I can adjust. I will definitely do the by-pass surgery so that I can get full output out of the neck p/u. Even though as is, I thought last night playing it had nice bottom end. As for the deal I got, I paid $600 on EBAY. (Man, that's an anxiety trip when you spend that much) It was pretty much as described. I think you can pay a little less for this color since most people like the traditional jet, fire or mapleglo and those go for more. The midnight blue has a metallic look and w/ the black trim, I think it has a nice "stagey" look to it. I am happy happy happy. Even my wife, who is very cynical (all basses sound the same and this extra gear obssesion is a crock, but I digress) was duly impressed. And finally, doggone it still counts: there is just such a coolness factor with this bass. They have a tangible inherent charm. Band practice tonight. Life is good!
  13. i have a black 4001 but my next one will be a midnight blue 4003
  14. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Big Congrats Max on your new blue RIC!:D You got great deal.
    Welcome to the Ric club
  15. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    midnight blue is one of the best color for the ric!
  16. Congrats, Max! Sounds like you're lovin' life!

Me? Still watching UPS tracking like a hawk waiting for my new Am Std P Bass coming from zzsounds...grr. Monday, hopefully.

Dan, lovin' my Rick 4001V63 in Mapleglo :D