Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker 4003FL - Any ideas for an asking price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kamelion, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kamelion

Kamelion

Jun 6, 2005
    Cambourne, UK
    I am thinking about selling my fretless Rickenbacker (4003FL) in order to help raise the cash for a Kubicki fretless Ex-Factor 4. The bass is in near-mint condition (couple of teeny weensy scuffs, nothing more), comes with a hard case and is only 3 or 4 years old. What sort of price should I be looking at asking for the thing? I reckon that e-bay is a good bet as a way to shift it but I just wanted to get some expert feedback from the TB community before I get the process underway.

(Apologies if this belongs somewhere else, btw, this seemed the best spot for the thread at this stage...)

2. It would help to know what year it is.

Right now you can get brand new fretless Rics between $985-$1200 depending on the finnish.

3. Kamelion

Kamelion

Jun 6, 2005
    Cambourne, UK
    Those pesky Finnish, always sticking their noses into my business ;)

I bought it in late 2001 in Holland, but haven't yet been able to quite nail down the year of manufacture (the serial number on the jack socket is 6363, but the serial number decoder on the Rickenbacker site doesn't seem to recognise it).

Those are the sorts of prices I was expecting for a new model, though - thanks for the input, gives me somewhere to work from :).

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    One thing to consider is this: If you sell your guitar on eBay, and you are willing to ship to at least Europe, you may get more than it cost you new. Europeans can't buy these online like we in the states can. You can ship via the USPS priority air mail (approx 10 days) for about $95.00.

So, you are really quite safe in putting it on eBay with no reserve, and within 7 days it will go for probably more than you think as long as you spend some time and elbow grease cleaning it up real nice, taking some good closeup pics, and just being honest about the little scratches, etc.

Skel

5. Kamelion

Kamelion

Jun 6, 2005
    Cambourne, UK
    Cool - I live in south-east England so getting it over to Europe would be no real hassle. And you're right - it pays to be straight-up when you're selling stuff. Messing folks around always comes back and bites you in the a$$ sooner or later. Cheers for your help :).

6. Bob the Bass

Bob the Bass

Aug 13, 2004
    UK
  7. Kamelion

Kamelion

Jun 6, 2005
    Cambourne, UK
    Sweet - thanks a lot for the tip! Time to get polishing, methinks :)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.