Rickenbacker 4003s flat wound strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bodhibob, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Bodhibob

Bodhibob

Dec 20, 2015
    I just got this 4003, and l'm not pleased with round wounds that came with it. If I put flat wounds on it, will it sound much different from my Fender Jazz with flat wounds.

2. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I believe he is a fellow TBer. TI flats on a Ric.

3. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Yes.

4. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Yeah, the pickups are quite different. A Ric with flats sounds great, but it's nothing like a Ric with rounds. The solution might just be to buy different rounds.

5. Titania

Titania

Aug 17, 2012
    Shirley, MA
    I personally love the stock Rick strings, but I have flats on one of my Ricks. It still sounds like a Rick, no question, but that Rick jangly magic really shines with rounds. I'd look at changing out to another set of rounds.

6. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Popular flats for Rics are TI Flats or Optima Flats for vintage warmth. Then there are the more growly ones like Chromes or Roto 77's.

7. Fender 9050 flats sound great after about a month. Still got some nice growl. I like D'addario tapewounds on mine. Still got some clang and growl and nice bottom, and no finger noise.

Eikari and Coolhandjjl like this.
  8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    Yes, it will sound much different - it's a Rick ;). As for the strings you have now, what is it you don't like about them? If it's the feel of rounds in general, then by all means change to something else likes tapes, or flats, or...? If it's the tone you don't like - is it your first Rick? Is it new or used? How long have you had it? How old are those strings? I ask, 'cause not only are rounds not noted for long life, but they can sound very different from brand to brand. I have different brands and gauges of rounds on my 2 Rick basses for that reason; while they both still sound like a Rick, they are definitely not the same. If you're new to a Rick, may I suggest spending some time seriously experimenting with the controls - and especially the push-pull feature on the bridge p/u tone control? It's very possible you'll find the sound you're looking for without going on an unnecessary (and maybe expensive) String Hunt...:)

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021