Rickenbacker 4003s

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kuys, Dec 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. kuys

kuys

Jun 29, 2010
    I just placed my order for a 4003s and I'm looking to replace the pickguard and truss rod cover with some white pearloid ones. Anyone have any experience on fitting a pickguard on the 4003s'? Any old 4003 pickguard should work no? Also the sticky situation, a white pearloid truss rod cover with the Rickenbacker logo...I'm dreaming right? I doubt such a thing exists. Am I up a creek?

byoung93888 likes this.
  2. Probably have to custom make the truss rod cover, but any pickguard that will fit a current 4003 will work with the 4003s. Earlier 4003's were different, in fact some are two piece. Congrats on ordering your new bass! What color did you go with?

3. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I made my own truss rod cover and pick guard.

11so3r7.jpg

29zpptt.jpg

I had the logo made at the mall - the rub on window sticker type. Cheap enough if you're handy.

4. kuys

kuys

Jun 29, 2010
    Ruby Red.

Gonna be a few months before I see it though. Seems to be back ordered till middle of January.

I didn't think about just getting a blank one and getting a decal. That would work just fine.

5. You can buy black ones from RIC directly online, but you'll have to turn in your white ones that came with the bass if you choose to go that route.

TD

6. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    The current 4003 (and 4003s) pickguard design is different from the pickguard design of the past 25 years or so, not sure if the screw holes will line up.

I don't believe they ever made a pearloid TRC (or pickguard for that matter), but expect to pay many hundreds of dollars if you can track down a legitimate one in any color. There are plenty of places online to get a custom one fabricated, though the TRC shape is copyrighted so some shops won't do it, but some will (minus the lettering of course).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  7. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    If you want a high-quality, made-to-fit, white pearloid pick guard, check Pickguardian. May be more expensive than others, but you'll get what you pay for.

The best way to get a nice "reverse" (white letters on black) truss-rod cover is to simply paint the standard white plastic (with raised letters) piece that comes with most Ricks. Spray paint it with a plastic-compatible spray can, let it cure, then carefully sand the surface of the letters – fine paper such as 320-grit wet-or-dry and a sanding block works best. You just sand the black paint off the letters, revealing the original white plastic.

Archiverat, ICM, byoung93888 and 6 others like this.
  8. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    That is a fantastic idea!

johnclink likes this.
  9. Winterglo

Winterglo

Aug 29, 2015
    Ilinois
    I can't for the life of me figure out why Rickenbacker can't switch the White with Black Nameplates. The 4004L nameplate would be nice.

10. PaulBoyer

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    It's probably because they don't have a huge inventory of the black-plastic, chrome-plated lettering TRCs for the Laredo. Yes, they can order more, but we are in the age of tight inventory and make-to-order production.

byoung93888 and cousindave like this.
  11. Winterglo

Winterglo

Aug 29, 2015
    Ilinois
    Still, it would be nice. I say increase the inventory. I would happily pay.

12. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I put a white pearloid Pickguardian guard on my MID 4003:

10382628_10202313835549625_1132779852025492538_n.jpg

--jack

Archiverat, ICM, Tbone76 and 9 others like this.
  13. PaulBoyer

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I like the pearloid pick guard as it matches the inlays. Carpet matching the drapes in other words.:wideyed:

14. Winterglo

Winterglo

Aug 29, 2015
    Ilinois
    If Ric won't give me a Black Nameplate (as on their 4004L models) I will get a pearloid pickguard. Your looks very nice.

johnclink likes this.
  15. Winterglo

Winterglo

Aug 29, 2015
    Ilinois
    Mr. Boyer,
    A favor if you please.
    Since you wrote an awesome Ric Bass Book (See how I sucked up there:) btw I bought 2, 1 for storage & 1 to look at) I know you may have more pull at Rickenbacker than me. I'm just a guy who has bought 10 or 12 over the years. Maybe you can ask Rickenbacker about this nameplate issue. They did not respond to my e - mails or messages about this. Of course I am cordial when asking. I understand the problem they may have logistically, what if after I trade a White For a Black 4004L Nameplate, they charge a fee? I wonder if they could "order" more if they know they can make a little money. Do they only make the exact number of 4004L Nameplates for only the number of necks?

Are there any other member of this forum that would like to have a Black 4004L nameplate with the Silver lettering?

16. PaulBoyer

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Well, flattery will get you nowhere.:thumbsup: Despite (or is it because of?) my authoring the book, I have no pull at all at RIC central. While RIC helped a bit with historical photos and a fact check, they have otherwise remained detached from me and the project.

The situation with the TRCs is that they consider it a controlled item (and I don't blame them) as there are still Rick clones being made out there, and they make it difficult and expensive for folks to buy their trademarked nameplate. They don't want to make it easy or desirable to switch out the TRC because they have little time to devote to sell additional equipment. I suspect they have a limited inventory of black TRCs and want to keep them to go on the models they were made for. And since it is so easy to "reverse" a white one to a black one (with spray black and sanding the letters to white), why not make your own?

byoung93888 and Garret Graves like this.
  17. Winterglo

Winterglo

Aug 29, 2015
    Ilinois
    Yes, I know. I was half joking about the pull you may have with them. I am going to use your instructions and make my own. Thanks for the reply and advice. You are aces with me. The book really is very good.

18. kuys

kuys

Jun 29, 2010
    byoung93888, kulit17, Tbone76 and 7 others like this.
  19. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    Wow! That's great, but won't the sanded off white lettering have kind of a "rough" appearance to it since it was sanded or is there a way to make it look smooth? (Or will it not look rough, anyway?)

20. PaulBoyer

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Use very fine sandpaper; maybe even finer than I suggested, such as 400- or 600-grit.

byoung93888 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021