Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker 4004, 4004/5 Cheyenne

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pilotjones, Mar 26, 2002.

1. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I've been interested in these for a while, but have never seen or heard one. Can anyone comment from first-hand experience on the tone, feel, or appearance of these models? Comparisons to other Ricks, or other basses?
    What really gets me interested in these is the new 5-string, with the neck that is wider than the old 4003/s5. Does anyone know whether this is shipping yet? Seen one?

2. Jesse Blue

Jesse Blue Guest

Mar 18, 2001
    chattanooga tn
    I did happen to check out all of the very few basses that Ric displayed at the NUMM show in Annaheim, and they all seemed about like the usual fare for them: nice finishes, a few hardware fit discrepancies, lots of vibe, and a desparate need for a set up. I read in Bass Player that the instruments go through a rigourus set up at the factory before being sent out, some sort of quote like ' the set up person has to have it like it would be his' or some nonsense. Bottom line is that you have to spend some time with your adjustment wrenches with any new Ric before they can be deemed worthy.
    That being said, I am not impressed with the Cheyane, or Laredo series one bit. I miss the 'vibe' from the classic 4000 series. I would like to see them use a tortise pickguard on their mapleglo basses though.