1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rickenbacker 4004 Cheyenne Modification

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by skinnypete, Apr 19, 2017.

1. skinnypete

skinnypete

Oct 7, 2004
    New York, NY
    I am thinking about modifying the wiring of my Rickenbacker 4004 Cheyenne with a Jazz bass setup Vol Vol Tone or keeping the switch and doing a stacked configuration.

I have been reading a lot here that people have had success with one or the other of this type of modification.

But I can't find what specific parts I need to get or if I need to make any physical alterations to the instrument like routing or drilling holes.

Any addtional help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. You will need a concentric pot and knobs for it. A500k/A500k would be preferable, or B500k/B500k, if you can find one.

3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Banned

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    If you want to drop in a volume where the switch is, you'll need to drill.
    I would recommend all new pots, get at least 500k Ohm, and you'll notice more brightness.

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

The first one to get a VVT setup. :) :D

4004CiiJPS Body_800_01.
    Photograph Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2004 All rights reserved.

I drilled the switch hole out for the 3rd pot, but I also went a step further and moved it slightly higher up the body so that all three pots were equidistant (not necessary but that's what I wanted to do). To make sure there was adequate room for that pot in the control cavity without hitting the side wall I used a Forstner bit to route out the upper end of the cavity a bit.

I did a few other mods to the bass but none that contribute to the harness, beyond making my own harness using 330K (within 3% tolerance. I had a bunch and measured them to find three that were right around 330K) Clarostat CP linear pots. I still have the harness as a subsequent owner returned it to me when he did some other mods to that bass (he was also kind enough to return the Hipshot A Style bridge to me, nice gesture on his part :thumbsup:). But, he kept the toasters. :crying:

Axstar likes this.
  5. For future reference, resistance is not critical. You wouldn't hear much of a difference if you were 10 or 20 percent off spec.

Capacitors are a different story, though.

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Yeah, I know, but it was fun to see how close I could get out of a dozen of those pots I had laying around. More academia (time wasting) than needed. :smug:

7. skinnypete

skinnypete

Oct 7, 2004
    New York, NY
    What type of pickups are those? I was planning on keeping the stock HB1 pickups. Do I need to change the pickups, too?

woodyng2 likes this.
  8. skinnypete

skinnypete

Oct 7, 2004
    New York, NY
    If I do concentric setup, do I need a special wiring harness?

9. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Banned

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    wiring harness is just a fancy term for pots, cap(s), and wires pre-assembled

all you'll need for a concentric pot install is more wire

I much prefer the sound of the HB1 humbuckers over the "toasters" that Jeff has installed. Maybe he can post a clip of how it sounds so you can decide.

10. skinnypete

skinnypete

Oct 7, 2004
    New York, NY
    Thanks for the input. I will look into getting me some new parts.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  11. woodyng2

woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    You can have your standard hb1 pickups wired with coil taps,and get a sound fairly close to the single coil toaster pickups pictured in Jeff's bass. I've done that option on 2 of my 4004's. I have another 4004 with SC pickups in it,as well as an old 4000,so i'm able to compare them. The tapped hb1's are not *quite* as glassy,but they sound really good.

Killed_by_Death likes this.