1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Rickenbacker 4004Cii Blueburst

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by PaulBoyer, Oct 14, 2013.

1. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    While preparing my book over the last eight years or so, I accumulated quite a few Rickenbacker basses. I'm no longer an active player, and I'd like to see the collection distributed to folks who want/need/appreciate a good Rick!

When "Blueburst" was announced as the 2005 Color of the Year, I knew I just had to get one. Eventually I decided to go with a Cheyenne II. But it took better than three years for RIC to make that combination available. Bought new from North Coast Music; it's a 2008, and I took delivery in January 2009. Besides the spectacular clear blue finish, this bass also has a highly figured front with great flame running perpendicular to dark accented grain (see detail shots). The contrasting head wings are a bonus. This late-model 4004 comes with a Schaller bridge instead of the earlier ABM bridge.

The feel of the neck on this bass is a bit deep and wide, more than any other bass in the collection (by measuring girth) -- that will be great for folks who prefer thicker necks. A few months after receiving the bass, I discovered that the bass (neck) pickup wasn't functioning. I was allowed to have the pickup removed and send in for exchange, but the new pickup I received must have been set up out of phase or something. When both pickups were engaged, the sound became weak and tinny. I ended up having to send the entire bass back to RIC for correction. With all that monkeying around, my local guitar guy took a chip of clear coat out of the edge of the bass pickup route (G-string side). It's barely noticeable, but I want to report it to potential buyers. Otherwise, the bass is unused and in near-mint condition.

Serial number is 08 46507. Price is firm at $1800 with case (plus shipping). No trades, no lower offers.

Attached Files:

Snowglo likes this.
  2. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    one of the nicest rics ive seen

3. PaulBoyer

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Yes, it IS nice. It is VERY NICE. Look at it again. Keep looking at it. You can't stop looking at it. You must have it. You must possess it. You must make it your own now!

Now, when I snap my fingers . . . . :ninja:

1stnamebassist and Godflesh999 like this.
  4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    The blueburst works well on the 4004 basses.

5. PaulBoyer

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, not so much covered up by pickguards and massive hardware!

6. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Free bump for a nice guy who is very knowledgeable about Ric basses!

7. conebone

conebone Anime is rad.

Sep 20, 2013
    New Jersey
    This thing is beautiful. How has this thing not sold yet? Great Rics btw.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Quite coincidently, I waited 26 months for my Cii, and finally got it in Jan '09, serial# 08 46564. Aside from the color, these 2 basses are pretty close brothers. Good luck w the sale Paul, it's an awesome bass. Mine too has a very thick neck, so I tuned it D standard with heavy strings. Oh, and thanks for the book, very nicely done.

9. PaulBoyer

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Your welcome, RickenBoogie!

10. PaulBoyer

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Bumpin'! Got a tax refund coming?

11. PaulBoyer

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Still looking for a good home!

12. Bucky4835

Bucky4835

Sep 15, 2013
    Keizer, OR
    Hi Paul. I am interested in the bass. Wanted to talk about it more. I tried to send you a PM but I think it went through as a conversation for you. Not sure if that's the same thing.

Jim

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  13. tuci77

tuci77 BASSment Boutique

May 12, 2013
    New York
    ME LIKEY !!!

14. PaulBoyer

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    SOLD! Thanks, Jim!

15. Bucky4835

Bucky4835

Sep 15, 2013
    Keizer, OR
    Thanks Paul. I can't wait to get it.

16. Bucky4835

Bucky4835

Sep 15, 2013
    Keizer, OR
    I just received this from Paul. What a Bass. It looks even better in person. It plays awesome. Thank you Paul!

17. How thick are the 4004s necks? Thicker than the 4003 but, thick as a P bass?

18. Bucky4835

Bucky4835

Sep 15, 2013
    Keizer, OR
    My 4004 is a 2008 and is thicker than my newer PBass but my understanding is somewhere around 2010, the 4004's got a little narrower. I do have a 57 AVRI PBass that feels close to my 4004. Hope that helps.

Jim

19. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    The necks on the 4004 models vary just about as much from year to year as the necks on any Rick basses....maybe less since they went to CNC ,and started making the necks on both models to the same spec.
    I have 3 4004 variations,and the necks all feel different...mine are a '98 Cheyenne 1,an '04 Laredo,and an '04 Cheyenne II. Even the 2 basses from the same year have very different feeling necks.
    I've played some others that had even fatter necks,as well as ome of the newer models that seem to have settled into a thinner C shape.