Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker 4004L... is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by asilentbass, Sep 25, 2003.

1. I've been playing for about 7 years and I've decided it's time for an equipment upgrade. I play on a Dean Edge 4 right now and though i like the playability if it, the intonation is off, the stock pickups suck and the wood won't hold the strap screws.

I hear everyone rave about different types of basses and I've been looking around. I'm thinking of saving my pennies and going all out for the Ric 4004L. I like the fat lows with a good treble punch (that new string sound).

I'm playing through an Ampeg B2R and Ampeg 4x10 cab (which I want to upgrade to a biamp soon too). What are everyone's feelings. Should I drop the cash or look elsewhere?

2. when it comes to rickenbacer I think you would be best off going with their 4003 model. I have never had any expiearence with any of the 4004 stuff but the 4003's are some of the best basses around in my opinion.

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Definatly go for the 4003-the other stuff is just non-rickenbacker... (well, it is, but it doesn't look like a Ric at all...) But definatly go for the 4003! i totally love mine-sounds good through any amp. plays like butta, sustains for days. I never really realized how good it was until today i was playin my friends crappy fender JP-90. But that bridge pup cover really gets in the way-so take it off. much easier you anchor on the bridge pickup surround. Also, Ric's through ampeg gear is like a match made in heaven. (check my sig....)

4. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I love the 4003, I don't have any exp. with the 4004 either.

A tip on the the strap screws. You can insert some pieces of toothpick into the screw hole and then re-insert the screw. It's a good tip to know if a screw hole gets stripped.

Also there is a Ric forum which could provide some needed info for you. I don't have the link but maybe somebody here can provide it.

5. thanks
    but definately stay with Ric? i hear about so many brands...

I did the toothpick thing like 4 times. i had to drill and re fill with wood filler.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've handled two 4004-series basses through the years, and was impressed by each. If I ever win the lottery, I'd grab one in a heartbeat!

Not the most traditional Ric sound or look, but very nice regardless.

7. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA

8. there is a lot out there, I think since you asked about the ric people are just saying that if you want to get a RIC then go with the 4003 they are great. but there are also many other basses out there that are awesome too for the same price. G&L L2000, Lakland skyline 44-02, Fender Jazz or Precision, Lakland skyline Joe Osborn, warwick corvette, a whole load of stuff you should go and really look around at everything you can.

9. i really appreciate the feedback... i was hoping maybe not to have to sell body parts to own my new bass though (list on the 4004L is $1750 and the 4003 is like $1350 or something right?)... is there anything with that quality sound that i'd find cheaper or will i have to get ready to auction off the family jewels?

As for the other brands listed, I have played on fenders and I don't like the feel, i did like a G&L i played on a while back... and i may go that way if I find a good deal. I was hoping to keep it at about $800 max... if at all possible, which my luck will probably have it different.

10. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    You should be able to shop around and find a new 4003 for around $1000. I bought my '01 new for $980.

11. If you're willing to go used you can find a Rickenbacker 4001/4003 or a G&L L2000 or ASAT for 800 in excellent condition.