Rickenbacker 4004L... is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by asilentbass, Sep 25, 2003.

1. I've been playing for about 7 years and I've decided it's time for an equipment upgrade. I play on a Dean Edge 4 right now and though i like the playability if it, the intonation is off, the stock pickups suck and the wood won't hold the strap screws.

I hear everyone rave about different types of basses and I've been looking around. I'm thinking of saving my pennies and going all out for the Ric 4004L. I like the fat lows with a good treble punch (that new string sound).

I'm playing through an Ampeg B2R and Ampeg 4x10 cab (which I want to upgrade to a biamp soon too). What are everyone's feelings. Should I drop the cash or look elsewhere?
  2. when it comes to rickenbacer I think you would be best off going with their 4003 model. I have never had any expiearence with any of the 4004 stuff but the 4003's are some of the best basses around in my opinion.
  3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Definatly go for the 4003-the other stuff is just non-rickenbacker... (well, it is, but it doesn't look like a Ric at all...) But definatly go for the 4003! i totally love mine-sounds good through any amp. plays like butta, sustains for days. I never really realized how good it was until today i was playin my friends crappy fender JP-90. But that bridge pup cover really gets in the way-so take it off. much easier you anchor on the bridge pickup surround. Also, Ric's through ampeg gear is like a match made in heaven. (check my sig....)
  4. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I love the 4003, I don't have any exp. with the 4004 either.

A tip on the the strap screws. You can insert some pieces of toothpick into the screw hole and then re-insert the screw. It's a good tip to know if a screw hole gets stripped.

Also there is a Ric forum which could provide some needed info for you. I don't have the link but maybe somebody here can provide it.
  5. thanks
    but definately stay with Ric? i hear about so many brands...

I did the toothpick thing like 4 times. i had to drill and re fill with wood filler.
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've handled two 4004-series basses through the years, and was impressed by each. If I ever win the lottery, I'd grab one in a heartbeat!

Not the most traditional Ric sound or look, but very nice regardless.
  7. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA

8. there is a lot out there, I think since you asked about the ric people are just saying that if you want to get a RIC then go with the 4003 they are great. but there are also many other basses out there that are awesome too for the same price. G&L L2000, Lakland skyline 44-02, Fender Jazz or Precision, Lakland skyline Joe Osborn, warwick corvette, a whole load of stuff you should go and really look around at everything you can.
  9. i really appreciate the feedback... i was hoping maybe not to have to sell body parts to own my new bass though (list on the 4004L is $1750 and the 4003 is like $1350 or something right?)... is there anything with that quality sound that i'd find cheaper or will i have to get ready to auction off the family jewels?

As for the other brands listed, I have played on fenders and I don't like the feel, i did like a G&L i played on a while back... and i may go that way if I find a good deal. I was hoping to keep it at about $800 max... if at all possible, which my luck will probably have it different.
  10. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    You should be able to shop around and find a new 4003 for around $1000. I bought my '01 new for $980.
  11. If you're willing to go used you can find a Rickenbacker 4001/4003 or a G&L L2000 or ASAT for 800 in excellent condition.