Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker 4005-8 8string hollowbody!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Oct 12, 2002.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow. i've never seen one of those before. i wonder if the number should be a 4004-8 ? (i thought the 4005 was the 5 string designation).

2. joerosen

joerosen

Jan 30, 2002
    Tel-Aviv, Israel
    4005 is the 360 body bass (invented in 1964), 4004 is the modern RIC bass.
    The 4005 came in several models: with or without binding, 6 strings, 8 strings and 4005LS (light show).

3. yep, I believe the current 5 string rick is the 4003S/5.

I've seen a pic of John Entwistle with the 4005 lightshow model (then again, I don't think there are many basses he didn't have...).

Mani used a 4005 (the paint-spattered one) with the Stone roses.

4. on the topic of ricks... I'm having a brain-freeze - what was the model number of the 80s "400x" with the ebony fretboard, the checkerboard binding, and 2 low-impedance humbuckers??? ( came stock in Walnut-glo)

edit!

AHH......... WAIT :

i just remembered

um, this one...

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, ok. my mistake, thanks. :)

6. looking at the site rockandroller linked to,
    http://www.rickbeat.com/

apparently there was a 4080/12/6 TRIPLE-neck:eek: no pics, unfortunately.

strangely the pic of the 4080/12 doubleneck suggests bolt-on necks (is this a fake?)-

[​IMG]

also the 4005/8 they have a pic of has a mono output only, not the Rick-o-sound outputs on mike Anthony's.

7. the bolt-on necks were indeed stock on that doubleneck... as well as the model 3000 and the 3002(?) (the long-scale version of the 3000) and a couple of others too i think

8. hmm, it says "set-neck" on the site (glued neck).

John Turner has a rick doubleneck- what's the story, JT?

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Actually, the 4003s/5 was the current 5-string up until about half a year ago. It is now discontinued. The current 5er is the 4004/5Cii. It is the "Cheyenne" style- no pickguard, 2 humbuckers, modern bridge, wider neck.

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, both necks on my 4080 (below) have the bolt on plates like the black one in the picture. however, they may also be glued (set) and are using the bolt on as reinforcement - i've never tried to remove the necks to see. i should try that.

[​IMG]

11. John, I do see why you thought that logic - the old 8 string with the 4001/4003 body was called the 4008! They then changed it to 4003S/8.

--jeff