"Rickenbacker 4620 Bass"

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Robert Canfield, Feb 26, 2015.

1. I thought it looked familiar! That's how I sign my last name. I might have to change this before I start doing the inlay. Thank you ScarfFace

ScarfFace likes this.
  2. ScarfFace, sigature.jpg

3. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
    Ha! Are you a doctor?

4. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Looks like my signature, starts off legible, then kind of devolves into "ahh.... fuggit"

Matthew_84 and Robert Canfield like this.
  5. Hmm. I really like the look of your TRC mock up. If you feel the need to change it though might I suggest just adding the "R" from your sig in front of the design for your last name that you already have?

I think that might look sharp, original, and still maintain the flowing minimalist look that the current one has. (For the most part.)

Robert Canfield likes this.
  6. I was thinking about trying to do an R tailpiece using the shape of my R. Not sure how. I don't have the tools for that. An R anchor with floating saddles?

7. RC-walnut-logo.jpg tailpiece.jpg
    Tailpiece idea is very rough. :)

8. I'm also not set on what pickup(s) to buy. Delano Xtender 4 HE Quad-coil? I could really use some input on this. I have a set of EMG PJs but they won't compliment the design. I also have some Carvin machine heads, but they're a bit heavy. I hate spending money on parts I already have. I do however want this bass to be something players would drool drool over. ;)

9. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Something soapbar shaped and chrome. :) Since yours is a four-string, you could even buy genuine Ric pickups.

10. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    I'd say that's already a given.

As for the pickups, I'd go with toasters or at least soapbar shaped and chrome.

11. What about Alumitones?

AltGrendel and ctmullins like this.
  12. Subscribed! Keep the R threads coming!

13. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah Alumitones would look good too. Kinda have that toaster look going.

14. Looking forward to seeing how this thread goes.

I just dropped some vintage single coil Chi Sonics into a Ric inspired bass. They sounds great and to be somewhat look that part.

i-kNnz2fb-XL.jpg

AltGrendel and Gilmourisgod like this.
  15. I'm intrigued. I never heard of Chi Sonics. Where did you get your hardware? Did you have a build thread for this? It's beautiful!

16. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
  17. Thanks! Chi Sonics are Lakland pickups (come under the name Hanson Pickups). They introduced them when the stopped using Dark Stars. The vintage version with alnico magnets definitely have a dark star vibe to them though.

No built thread on this one. It was a Italian Rimini bass which I dropped the new pickups into, and added the pickguard and new tuners. Bridge is stock.

18. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'd love to see you use TV Jones ThunderMags. I've been intrigued by them since they came out. "ThunderTron meets Rickenbacker". Sounds badass to me!

[​IMG]

Down_Low likes this.
  19. What are you try'n to do to me CT? I'm so confused! Have you heard these guys?

20. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Heh heh. No, I haven't heard them, but I swear, after I pay a few more bills...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021