"Rickenbacker 4620 Bass"

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Robert Canfield, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Which one to get? Tron, Blade or Mag? I wish I could compare TV Jones, Dark Star, Chi Sonics and Delano Xtenders.

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    ... and Ric HB1s, and DagStars, and Lace BassBars, and Peavey T40s, and ThunderBuckers, and...

So much chrome goodness!

I chose the ThunderBlades simply because mine is a five-string. But all of the above are so very intriguing!

3. Scarf or no scarf? I'm not sure if the 620 has one or not. I'm also not 100% subscribed or bound to the original design. Any improvements that can be made should be made. I own a 4003 (that I love) that needs a few design tweaks here and there. CT, Ric5 how are you approaching this?

4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Mine's scarfed. I like scarfed headstocks. I don't think the original was, though. Just a few degrees tiltback if any. In fact, I don't think RIC scarfed any headstocks.

5. This may be a slow build. The pipes on our back porch froze and burst. Everything had to be moved to my workshop (shed). Now I can't get to my tools. I will continue tweaking design and possible build methods though. There are so many talented builders on this site. I am truly blessed that I found it. I do have a few other projects I can work on in the mean time. I appreciate all the feedback so far.

6. I think this design will work. I've stretched the upper horn and had it flow into the lower horn. I have some more wood and hope to get back on it. 1538669_10205467033027810_3481119410184408807_n.jpg

7. Purple heart runner with maple and walnut stripes for the neck. Walnut body wings with a maple center. 11025662_10205458099844486_1600391031841500617_n.jpg

lbridenstine likes this.
  8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Robert
    Body shape looks good now, follows the classic Ric design of an ellipse interrupted by the neck, but should balance better with the longer upper horn.

BassHappy likes this.
  9. Love the body shape, seems like the best of all worlds with the modifications...

10. Would I be plagiarizing if I used this body shape for basses I intend to sell? There is no doubt where the inspiration came from, but is it different enough? I guess it also depends on what I do with the headstock. Any advice from pros would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah! I was able to get to some of my tools so I ripped the purple heart and glued up the neck. IMG_20150315_142145050.jpg IMG_20150315_082553931.jpg IMG_20150315_150041337.jpg

11. I will be making two of these. One will have a figured maple top that covers the neck through, body wings are maple/walnut/maple. The other will have a walnut/maple/walnut body wings on either side of the through neck. Each will have different hardware and pickups.

12. There maybe 3 basses that come out of this build. I have 3 different style and color bridges, 3 dif color machine heads and I'll have 3 dif sets of pickups (EMG PJs, Aguilar Super Singles and a yet to be purchased set). The Tops are rough cuts since I'm working with a jig saw. IMG_20150315_174944182.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    neeko, lbridenstine and ctmullins like this.
  13. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Robert
    From what I've read, John Hall will aggressively hassle anyone who tries to sell anything that even resembles a current or past Ric design. He doesn't have to have a legitimate case, that's irrelevant to many lawsuits, he just has to make you spend money you can't afford on an attorney. I wouldn't go that route unless you have deeper pockets than John Hall. If it was just unadvertised sales by word of mouth, you might get away with it, but he personally trolls the internet looking for things he feels encroach on the Ric trademark, and there are people (including on TB) who feel it is their moral duty to rat out anybody trying to sell a Ric clone or lookalike on a public website. I believe these people should be awarded ceremonial Rickenbacker cumberbunds and shiny plastic Ricpolice badges, but I think all they get in return for their devotion is bad customer service.

ctmullins and neeko like this.
  14. Thank you for the heads up. I'm not looking to steal anything from Mr. Hall, so I may have to deviate a little from the original plan. I do think I'm safe in creating and selling something that's inspired by Rickenbacker. I'm not trying to pass this off as a genuine Ric.

neeko likes this.
  15. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Robert
    Not trying to be a downer, but another TBer listed a 4500 reproduction for sale (or at least implied it might be for sale) and got an immediate cease and desist from Ric. I don't know where they draw the line as to what they stomp on, but its not on a one-off build like yours. It might be enough to change the headstock design, like a Retrovibe. I'm in the same boat, along with a few other TBers doing Ric inspired builds. As long as we are just making personal instruments, not for sale, its nit worth Hall's time to hassle us.

16. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Well, he is enforcing the copyright/trademarks in place, so, ya know, there is that.

I'm sure Mr. Hall's family thinks he's a good person...

17. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    To be clear, I have no issue with Hall enforcing his trademarks. Unfortunately he has a habit of "stretching" the limits of those trademarks to include anything that even vaguely resembles his products. The Hipshot bridge many Ric players install on their basses is a case in point. Other than having roughly the same footprint to allow it to cover the stock bridge screwholes, it doesn't bear much resemblance to a stock bridge. The market exists for these bridges because of the well-known and endlessly debated problems with the stock bridge. Hall went after Hipshot for trademark infringement and lost because Hipshot had the financial resources to defend itself. The resolution of a lawsuit often has nothing to do with the merits of a case, and everything to do with who is willing to spend more money on attorneys. As to his family, I know nothing of them, but have read a number of his posts on the RRF forum, which to many came off as rude and arrogant, and was personally flamed by him for mentioning the whole tail lift/Hipshot bridge issue. That he was unable to tolerate even the mildest constructive criticism on a forum almost legendary for its sycophancy to Rickenbacker speaks volumes. Anyone who cares to judge his demeanor and attitude towards the public should read those old posts and form their own opinion. Whatever his personal failings and "creative" approach to trademark enforcement, at their best his company makes a unique and often beautifully made line of instruments. I think Robert's body design is a a really cool "take" on that design tradition, but trying to sell it commercially is risky at best given the track record.

Robert, I apologize for derailing your thread with my rantings, enough said...

neeko likes this.
  18. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    Congrats at building this bass. You've beaten me to it! I had a similar idea last year, but for a hollow body using this body shape.
    You could put the upper horn strap button on the back of the neck behind the 12th fret if you are worried about neck dive.
    Ideally, you would extend the upper horn to just over the 12th fret to ensure an even strap balance. But in this case it would upset those lovely Ric inspired lines.

Robert Canfield likes this.
  19. Well, I need to sell one or two of these so I can afford a Ric reproduction for myself. So, the 620 will have to be a spring board of inspiration. I think Ric fans will still enjoy this (I am a Ric fan myself, been playing a 4003 for 32yrs).

neeko likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021