"Rickenbacker 4620 Bass"

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Robert Canfield, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Robert,
    What kind of glue is that on the neck laminates, looks foamy like GorillaGlue? I've just been using hardware store Titebond, don't know if there is something better other than epoxy. Last time I used Gorilla, I got it all over my hands, took weeks to wear away.

2. CT, you will be happy to know that I purchased a TV Jones, it's on the way. Down_Low I'm in the process of getting a Chi-Sonic Vintage. Those two chrome pups will go on one. Two Aguilar Super Singles (that are on the way) will go on another. That leaves either an EMG PJ set(black) or an EMG J set(Ivory) to go in the third bass. Two remaining decisions to be made - which body gets which PUPs and which bass will be 30" and which will be 32"?

Down_Low and ctmullins like this.
  3. Titebond original, I just used a bit more than necessary. My friends thought it was a new type Cinnabon. Is it possible to use too much glue?

4. I'm considering chambers but still unsure about diving. I play quite a bit around the 12th so I'm not too keen on putting a button right there. Time to redesign a headstock. I am using Hipshot ultralites on two basses, but the third gets Carvin's that are a bit heavier.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  5. Word to the wise - don't leave your work lying on the living room floor when you have a 6 month old puppy. Luckily she didn't get further down.
    IMG_20150318_243048842.jpg IMG_20150318_243209648.jpg

6. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Glad we have cats. She looks sufficiently contrite.

7. Nomad98

Nomad98

Dec 13, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I am thinking of getting these tuners but can only find 4 inline (need 2 on a side). Were you able to flip two of the tuners? I dont want to buy them and get stuck with 4 inline. Thanks!

8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The look of guilt is almost worth it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  9. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Albany NY
    That's the specialty of dogs (and it's how they manipulate us). Cats don't do guilt.

10. I thought the Ultralites were reversible but they are not.
    I watched a youtube video where the guy reversed two of his in-lines. I was certain it was the HipShot Ultralites. Turns out it was not. Luckily I have another bass that needs them. Sorry, keep looking. I found a black pair for $59 on ebay.

11. People don't own cats, cats own people... and they're cruel masters. They do something wrong and look at you with distain.

ximaipa likes this.
  12. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    The MUSA Ultralites are reversible. The import "Licensed" versions are not.

BeeTL likes this.
  13. THIS IS A CAT IN A NUTSHELL -
    Conversely, you have to see this:

14. It's been slow going, but here's my next step. Square up the planer/jointer.
    IMG_20150322_221245741_HDR.jpg

15. I alternated the each board's grain/bow when clamping. When it dried I ended up with a slight bow. If I correct the bow using heat and steam, will the bow come back?
    IMG_20150323_140353813_HDR.jpg I love the flame that's showing up. I hate to waste any part of this lamination.

16. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    How slight? If it's really slight (like 1 mm) I would just leave it, and build it into your neck. If you'll be carving the neck thick, use the bow to add a bit of pre-relief. If you'll be carving thin, flip it around so that the bow counteracts the string tension. Honestly, with those laminations, I think your neck will be plenty stiff, so I'd go with the first option.

17. the bow is side to side.
    IMG_20150323_170140618.jpg

18. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Ah.

Well then....

:unsure:

19. Yes......?

20. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Robert
    I wonder if you could counteract the tiny bow by routing for carbon stiffeners either side of the trussrod channel, glue them in with epoxy, and clamp the snot out of it to the longest and flattest surface you can find? My Ric bass build neck developed a tiny (1/16" or so) backbow, I plan on gluing in the CF rods while it's clamped flat to see if I can get the backbow out. Luckily in my case string tension or the trussrod should take this out anyway, but I'd like to get it dead flat again before dealing with the fingerboard. I'm going to do this next weekend, I'll let you know how it goes. Since this is neck-through, couldn't you put the bowed end between the body wings and force out the bow when you glue it all up? Somebody out there must have dealt with this problem before.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021