"Rickenbacker 4620 Bass"

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Robert Canfield, Feb 26, 2015.

1. I'm sure someone does. You can see there is about an 1/8" bow to the right.
    IMG_20150323_202827768.jpg

2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Are you doing dual trussrods? They are supposedly intended to straighten out any twist, don't know about bow. If worse comes to worst, you may just have to plane out the bow on your jointer. I don't think the 1/8" difference in laminate thickness would be noticeable over the length of the neck. I'm realizing this whole luthiery craft is, at least for me, a series of small errors I have to dream up workarounds for. The best luthiers just know all the workarounds.

3. 4620-headstock002.jpg I think I'm going for this head shape. 4620-headstock001.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    Gilmourisgod likes this.
  4. I don't like hand shaping templates. My kingdom for a belt sander! IMG_20150329_195438373.jpg

gsnad2000, Gilmourisgod and ctmullins like this.
  5. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Robert,
    Try a cheap (Harbor Freight) drum sander chucked into a drill press. That has the advantage of keeping the template edge square anyway. Wish I had a spindle sander! I had a really hard time making my templates, took forever, and they are far from perfect. I have one spot on my templates I sanded too flat, kind of lost a piece of the curve. I may have to go back and bondo the edge and re-shape it. The flush trim pattern bits will faithfully reproduce every little F-up. All those compound curves!

6. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    You're not alone there sir; it's how I learn.

7. Bondo - Check!

8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I bought this stuff called "high performance wood filler", supposed to be made for wood, or have wood dust in it, yadda yadda, crack open the can and that familiar smell of.... Bondo. Paid twice the Autozone rate for yellow bondo. I'll be using it to fill some tearout too.... sigh.

9. Gluing up neck #2. This time I took into consideration the bend in the purple heart. Purple heart one direction, both maple in the opposite direction and the two walnuts opposing each other. And, left to cure lying on it's back instead of it's side. We say see...
    IMG_20150331_103921821.jpg

10. The second neck is spot on (so far) and I have the body and headstock templates done. BTW, parchment paper works great for gluing, glue doesn't stick to it at all.
    IMG_20150331_175342023_HDR.jpg IMG_20150331_175326933.jpg . IMG_20150330_203002285.jpg

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  11. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Progress! Once again, we beat back the forces of entropy and sloth by building something! I can't wait for my weekly 3 hours (if i'm lucky) of worship at The Temple of Wood (or at least wood dust). That neck laminate is going to be sweet running through the back of the bass. Template looks great.

12. Second neck planed. First top being glued.
    IMG_20150401_221723732.jpg IMG_20150401_221622771.jpg

13. This first walnut version will have Aguilar Super Singles, which I already have, and a piezo gold bridge. The second is Maple top will be more Ric like. It will have a TV Jones Mag and a Chi Sonic Vintage. I'm cutting the scarf first then routing for the truss rod and the carbon rods. But first I need to make a scarf jig for my table saw. I don't have rails that fit the slots so I have to fabricate something T shaped to attach to my jig sled. Oh bother,....

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    blindrabbit likes this.
  14. A little here, a little there, we'll get it done. I was finally able to get started on making a scarf jig. I had to make a jig to make the jig... You might say I'm Getting Jiggy With It. Then again, you might not. IMG_20150416_125621425.jpg

Attached Files:

ICM likes this.
  15. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    :rollno:

16. I just can't pass up a pun. I know it's bad,... it's a compulsion.

Jon Clegg likes this.
  17. michaelwayneharwood

michaelwayneharwood Builder of the Wastelands Commercial User

May 1, 2014
    Colorado
    Owner Melodious Resonance Constructs
    The jig is up for you.

Robert Canfield likes this.
  18. I cut my scarf on a table saw and it's askew. What is the best way to straighten it up (get both cut to match up)?

19. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The best method I've seen is to tape both pieces together, glue face down, such that both faces can be sanded or planed simultaneously. This should cancel out any tiny variations in the bevel. I've never made a scarf joint myself, but the idea seems sound. My next build will have scarf, so I will have to figure this out too.

20. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah that's probably what I'd do as well. My next project will be my first neck build so, I'm watching this with interest.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021