1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker At Local Store - Bubble at Bridge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 96Brigadier, Dec 21, 2016.

1. 96Brigadier

96Brigadier Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Canada
    This bass arrived brand new at the Long & McQuade by my house about 6 weeks ago. Been hanging on the wall since, I've taken it down to play it a few times now. Yesterday I was in there drooling over it and remembered the threads about bubbles in the finish around the bridge. Took a look and guess what I found.. a big bubble with a smaller one running down a good portion of the bridge. So sad to see a brand new bass retailing for $2,450 here in Canada with a bubble in the finish, especially for something that otherwise both looks and sounds so great.

Attached Files:

2. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    the finish warranty runs from the date of manufacture so you may want to mention it to them. Wolfenstein666 had the same thing on his. He had to eat shipping, but they refinished the bass. I wonder if it has to do with temperature change? I bought mine around the same time he did, same finish, but no issues.

3. Wasn't Wolfenstein's a jetglo also? Maybe it's something that finish has an issue with. MY 2010 jg had no issues, but it seems the ones that come up are jetglo.

4. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    yes it was and so is mine and so it the one in that picture it would seem.

1stnamebassist likes this.
  5. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    A few years ago it was a bunch of midnight blue ones. Then it was on some special edition seafoam ones. Someone here had it on the flip side of the headstock. Regardless, it's simply shoddy workmanship/lack of QC at Rickenbacker. What else is new. :cigar:

Rabidhamster, GregC and willsellout like this.
  6. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    It might be in part bc they had to change their finish due to environmental regulations but yeah, kinda lame.

7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    It's not just Jetglo's, just easier to see on a black surface. I've seen it on a Midnight Blue too. A couple years ago when GC actually had a few Rics in stock, I played three, two Jetglo's and a Midnight Blue. One of the Jetglo's perfect, the other Jetglo and the Midnight Blue both had finish bubbles around the bridge. I pointed this out to the salesman, who could not have cared less. I'm sure they were sold as-is. Go GC! The best theory I've heard is that the back of the bridge is a little rough, or the body isn't perfectly flat (resulting in some "tail-lift" false alarms), and when they tighten the bridge down with an electric screwgun in the factory, it's biting into the finish around the bridge. It may not show up right away, so I'll give Ric factory QC benefit of the doubt, but its happened enough that they cant claim not to be aware of it. The only fix is a refin, with shipping to CA on your nickel, which sucks, IMO. This occasionally happens at the laquer on the necks too, where it meets the frets, it pulls away over time as the neck and frets expand/contract differentially. I think they are so backlogged, they just spray them with a thick coat of the UV catalyzed varnish, buff them out, and out the door they go. They are almighty sticklers for that paper warranty card too, if you buy one, send it in immediately! Everyone else in the world has gone over to online warranty registration, seems more like a tactic to duck warranty claims, but I'm a cynical bastard.

8. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    It's been years since they switched from the polyurethane based to the polyester based CV to comply with California's regs. Years.

9. If it's simply a matter of overtightening bridge screws at the factory it would be an easy fix. Most factories tend to overtorque stuff in fear that something will go wrong, when actually overtightening causes issues of it's own. Of course bringing things like that up will almost always follow on deaf ears and things will carry on as always. But it is an excellent point.

10. 96Brigadier

Apr 23, 2015
    Canada
    Yes, it is indeed a Jetglo. I didn't mention it to the sales guys when I saw it however I am planning on going back up there tomorrow to let them know. They should send it back to have it either fixed or replaced before it gets sold to someone.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  11. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Just read a thread on the Rickenbacker Club confirming that the Hipshot replacement Ric bridge is slightly wider than stock, so it will cover typical bridge finish bubbles. It's a better bridge functionally, I think they look good too. Might be a wash cost-wise vs. shipping a bass back to CA for warranty repairs.

rockinrayduke likes this.
  12. 96Brigadier

Apr 23, 2015
    Canada
    Well the bass is off the sales floor now. Not sure what the store is going to do about it but at least they now know about the bubble. The sales guy noticed there is the start of some bubbling on the other side of the bridge too, so it's actually both sides.

13. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    L&M will probably get an AR from RIC and send it back to them for repair or for a replacement.

TD

14. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Relax, bubbles are good. Sometimes.

pc5MzX4oi.

15. 96Brigadier

Apr 23, 2015
    Canada
    The Green Apple Rick thread has me wanting one... but every single new Rick I've seen in store has the finish coming up at the bridge. I was at the south Calgary L&M a few weeks ago, Jetglo on the wall was bubbling. Yesterday I was in the store, the Jetglo is no longer on the wall but they have two more on the wall, one of which is a Midnight Blue. Both of them have the finish bubbling at the bridge. I'd love a Rick but I can't find one that doesn't have the finish coming up, and I'm not confident that if I do find one that it won't happen after I buy it.

Fishheadjoe and Rabidhamster like this.