Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker bass tone...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PinkFloyd76767, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Hey,
    I searched through the forums and I couldn't find any sound samples of a slapped Ric. Does anyone have any I could?

Also...
    If I did get a Ric I would take the pickup cover off. I'm wondering if the pickup in the back is large enough so that I can rest my thumb on it while playing. I do use the floating thumb method though so I'd only need support while playing the E.

Thanks

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Idunno about the bridge pickup but the neck pickup is big enouggh to rest your thumb on. Ive never taken the pup cover off the pickup though.

3. Does anyone have a slap bass tone sample I could hear?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Meh, the Ricks slap tone isnt great. Basicaly doesnt really sound like the slap tone you woudl associate with slapping. I dont have a sample but i played a Rick yesterday and the slapping just sounds like aggresive picking.

5. I don't think I can really answer your question about resting your thumb on the pickup. is a small pickup, but it's definitely still possible to rest your thumb on it. It's really just a matter of how big a pickup you personally would need to be comfortable.

But you know, it's easy to get used to something, even if it's not comfortable at first. You'd probobly be surprised at how quickly you'd get used to playing a bass with no pickups to rest on.

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    WEll, I own a 4003. It's okay for slap at certain times, with the right preamp (a Sansamp RBI of course :D ). The tone isn't the best slap tone, yet not the worst. The thing is, the bass itself isn't really a slapper. You just don't get that good poppy slappy feel. Still, the tone is amazing. I usually rest my thumb on the E string, and rest my thumb on the pickup or pickup cover when playing the E string. I took the horseshoe off, but the chrome mounting thing still works as a thumbrest. If you do a lot of slapping, the ric isn't the bass for you, but if you really want that ric sound, go for it. I've played a few 4001's, and they seem to be better slappers.