Rickenbacker Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowendblues, Feb 13, 2005.

1. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    What does everyone think of Rick basses? :cool:
  2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
  3. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I am a bonafide Rick junkie. I own three (74 4001, 78 3001, 03 4003) & love them all. But, they are not for everyone. Distinct sound, some charming "classic" features that may not meet the needs of people with a taste for modern basses (old school bridge, Rick-o-Sound, mutes).
    I echo some earlier posts and say go & play one...through YOUR amp if possible.
    I find that Ricks (especially the older ones) take a slight bit more time to EQ properly, but oh so worth it. The new 4003's are damn near flawless - the necks may be bigger, but they seem so much more solid that the old 4001's & the pickups are WAY hotter.
    I also own a Jazz Bass & a T-bird, but reach for the 4003 most of the time.

That's my two cents...
  4. Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I currently have 7 Ricks.....68 total over the last 19 years.
  5. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    "Hello, my name is Walbassman, and Im an addict" hehehe, seriously all I could htink of reading that is an AA meeting opening line lol. Guess you find your brand, thats for sure hehe.
  6. Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I have heard that one before...I can"t go wrong with Ricks so I have a bunch
  7. jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    my first good bass was a 1980 4001. burgundy glo. i now have a 4001v63 in turquoise. i am ordering a new 4003 in the new blueburst color. i love ricks, just not as my main bass. jeff
  8. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    you cant go wrong with a rick. i have had my 80 4001 for about a year and it has never let me down! it has withstood falling out of a car at 25 mph (girlfriend), stuff being thrown at it (girlfriend) and it just plain out being dropped (girlfriend). i dont let anyone touch it anymore :smug: hmm i wonder why... ;)
  9. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Niiiice. I hope to get my meager total up to 3 in the near future. I just gotta have a Jetglo 4003 (though I'll take a Blueburst if I find one), and I'd like to add a Jetglo 360/12 12-string guitar to match.
  10. Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Go for it Kurt....There should be pile of them in Houston? This is what I have heard anyway>>>
  11. Probably a dumb question, but how come Rickenbacker prices are never listed on websites or catalogs? How much do they typically go for new?
  12. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I think new 4003's generally go for around a grand. I recently picked up a new Jetglo from Musician's Friend and it was in the low to mid 9's, iirc. Unique and bonafide great basses, btw.
  13. At some time you gotta realize it's time to get a new girlfriend,.
  14. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Love the looks but hate the necks. They're like playing a 2x4 to me.
  15. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    On those websites they don't show the price because it's under the Minimum Advertised Price or something I think. Could be wrong. Anyway, it's $999 on those.
  16. 00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca

its alot like playing a fender p IMO. if you like the fender p neck you will like the ric neck.
  17. Busk

Jan 31, 2002
    First bass I bought was what I believe is a '79 4001 Fireglo. Cost $350, but one boxcar tuner was swapped out for a Schaller. I barely played any bass except when there were too many guitar players until a few years ago, but bought it because Geddy played one. This is a great bass. Sounds and plays beautifully. I got a pro set up and all the electronics cleaned out last year. Totally rocks. I can get all kinds of sounds out of it, but it come at them from a different angle. Between this and my Peavey TL-Six, I'm set... at least until I see a deal on an MIJ Jazz.
  18. I don't like the ric neck but I love p neck. that is the only reason why I don't own one is because of the neck.
  19. Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    eh...they're alright. I cant stand that pickup cover over the bridge pup though...i feel so cramped when im playing one....that and i cant get a good thump on it
  20. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999

Then buy an older mid 70's 4001.

I wouldn't buy a new 4003 either because of the neck, but i'll never sell my 73 4001. It's got the best neck that i've ever found on any Rickenbacker.