1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'Rickenbacker bassist wanted"

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by KingCrimson, Mar 10, 2009.

1. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Oct 6, 2008
    http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/muc/1069657060.html

Now Rick's may be my favorite bass and i think they have a great sound but isn't this just a bit TOO rediculous and picky, jeese its always montreal with the dumb musician ads :rolleyes:

2. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Interesting... some sort of Rick fetish, OK I guess. But then you look at the list of influences and try and figure out why those styles of music would "require" a Rickenbacker. I am surprised the ad does not specify "must play with a pick" since all the other details are duly covered.

Maybe Daddy works for Rickenbacker or something. Also have to suspect this is a husband/wife or bf/gf package deal you are getting into and you always want to be super careful about those things.

I do have to prop them though for the exemplary English, correct punctuation, etc. You don't see that much anymore these days and especially on the Web.

3. Hahaha!!!!

I saw that this morning and was gonna post it! Classic!!!! I'd love to show up with a P bass just to see their reaction!

4. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    "The bass without the chops is also futile"! hahahhahhaha

5. Ricks do have a greta sound? I named mine Sarah. Guess I better go change it.

6. Yeah saw this this morning as well and was going to post it, my guess is the guitarist plays them exclusively and is the one who posted the ad. He probably thinks that, naturally, only a ric bass will sound best to accompany his ric guitar. Unfortunately their guitars are nowhere near as nice as their basses :atoz:

7. Oh, I disagree on them being nowhere near as nice. Just not as nice. MY question is not only how do those influences restrict the sound to a Rick, but how to they relate in terms of originals. the whole bit about compositions must fit those influences makes no sense. Granted that leaves out several genres, but those are some diverse bands in their own right. Steve Miller and Tracy Chapman? The Beatles and Def Leppard? Steppenwolf and Tina Turner? I would think any such hybrids would stink on ice to be honest.

8. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah...how many Rics were played on any of those "influences" records? Probably none to not many. Talk about narrowing down the field. I have a Ric but I dont know that many others around here that do. They are in for a long wait I think.

9. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Oct 6, 2008
    not only that but Rickenbackers are such a rarity in montreal, when one does decide to pop up in the ads it costs a FORTUNE.

10. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    You've hit on it! They figure if they get someone loaded enough to afford a Rick, then that person will be well-heeled enough to float the whole band. Now it all comes clear!

11. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
    Reminds of the early days of electric bass when the credits would always say "so-and-so on fender bass". Maybe they come from an alternate universe where Rickenbacker made the first electric bass :p

12. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Regardless of the reason, if they're going to be that adamant about it, better that they state it in the ad and save everyone a lot of time.

13. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    Before I audition, I am going to clarify right-handed or left-handed basses.

14. JPrinos

JPrinos

May 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Someone has got to go see these guys play and report back. I'm really curious.

15. peetey

peetey

Mar 9, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    I would, but unfortunately I don't own a Ric.

16. I wonder if showing up with a "lawsuit" Ric copy is better or worse than showing up with a Fender?

17. WalWarrior

WalWarrior Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2006
    MD suburbs
    What if you showed up with a Hofner Cavern bass and ripped through "Roundabout" or "the Fish" ?

:)

18. Jim Powers

Jim Powers

Mar 19, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I think that ad is for me......too bad its so far away:(

19. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Wow that ad makes me want to buy a Ricky and take a trip up north! However when I read it, I can almost hear Rod Serling's voice narrating it.

20. Dick Dale used to(and probably still does) only hire bassists that play a P, with a maple neck, with a pick, using only downstrokes. That's picky.

El Pelusa likes this.