1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker bridge on Precision body

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Joseph Schuyler, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Joseph Schuyler

Joseph Schuyler

May 4, 2016
    I bought an old 90’s Cort Precision-style as a project bass. I have always loved the look of the Ric bass bridges, and was looking to see if putting one on was possible for the Precision body. Maybe if it was as far on the body as I could, but I’d like to get some second opinions on it.

Thanks in advance.

2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Ric bridges have not generally been considered their strong point. That said, whatever floats your boat. You will want to look up the specs and find if the saddle height and string spacing will work.

3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    96tbird likes this.
  4. Joseph Schuyler

Joseph Schuyler

May 4, 2016
    Yeah, I didn’t even think about the string spacing aspect. I don’t think it’d do well on the wide neck, would it?

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    There's also the routing of the body to consider. And, there probably isn't enough body behind the bridge to make this work, too.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    sissy kathy, Turnaround and 96tbird like this.
  6. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    All in all, the Hipshot is a better bridge with a similar look. The stock Ric bridge requires a fairly precise two-step route with very little room for error.

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you are choosing an aftermarket bridge based on looks (especially a bridge with a mixed reputation), perhaps you need to re-think priorities.

8. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    So long as there is enough body to mount the bridge far enough back to keep the saddles in the same position for intonation, anything will work.

I say that, because I also like the narrower string spacing on a Rickenbacker, about 2 1/16 inches G-E across the saddles, compared to "Fender Standard" 2 1/2. I have used several different bridges, from modified Fender "bolt stock" bridges to no-name Asian bridges to others with the 2 1/16 to 2 1/8 inch string spread at the saddles. If you are going with a HipShot, and to make the installation easier, they have two or three models Fender-style bridges which you can order in different string spacings.

Other bridges to consider are vintage-style Mustang bridges, which also have the same narrow spacing, MusicMaster bridges, the Fender Rascal bass bridge, which actually has Guild origins and narrow spacing, Gibson 3-point if you want to mount something a little taller and shim the neck to match, bridges derived from the original Wilkinson design that has lateral saddle adjustment as well as height and intonation adjustment, and I'm sure there are others, that's just all I can think of right now.

Another issue is the neck heel. If you retain the Fender Standard 2 1/2 inch wide neck heel, and play up the neck, it might feel a little awkward. On my custom fanned fret P-style bass, I had the heel of the neck made 1/8 inch narrower so the narrower string spacing would feel good to match the bridge and the string spacing.

The last issue is spacing over the pole pieces of the pickups. If you don't want the offset over the pole pieces, there are several rails type pickups, soap bar pickups, Rickenbacker humbucker, TV Jones Thunder'tron (like a Super'tron for bass, like what is on the Cabronita), Various offerings of P-style basses that have blades or wider pole pieces, etc.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021