1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker Bridge Pickup Surround Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Wu, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Mr. Wu

Mr. Wu Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Canton, GA
    Hey Guys,

I just picked up a 2008 Ric 4003. I took off the bridge pickup cover because it was in the way and have found that the surround is sharp ... cuts my fingers a little while playing the E string.

The 4001s didn't have the "cutout" surround, like the 4003s. Does anyone know if the 4001 surround would work on a 4003? Also, where could I get one?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Wu

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I think what you're talking about would work.

You can put the PUP cover on, and put the springs on the opposite side. Putting the PUP cover over the PUP but BELOW the strings.

3. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    That would degrade the sound considerably because the pickup would be so far away from the strings.

4. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
  5. Blown 6L6

Blown 6L6

Sep 29, 2008
    seattle
    I went through the same thing with my 4001 and relised that it would be a pain in the butt, so i just lightly filled and sanded the sharp edge and clear coated it so it would not rust.

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    It's maybe 1/16th inch of chromed plastic. My strings aren't that close to the PUP.

Personally, I like the cover, but John Hall has stated that he has his all the way down on top of the PUP. Sounds like a good solution to me.

7. Mr. Wu

Mr. Wu Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Canton, GA
    Has anyone had experience with the Pickguardian product ... Looks like it would fit the bill ...

Thanks.
    Wu

8. Yes. Recommended. $28 for both pieces if I remember correctly.

rickcrop2.

Dr. Wu?

"Are you crazy...are you high?...are you just an ordinary guy?"

9. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    Where did he state that? Do you have the actual quote?

It's not the thickness of the plastic I'm concerned with, it's how deep the ears of that cover extend down, and how far away the pickup will be from the cover when mounted like that. Now, you couple that with the fact that the cover can only go up so high or it will hit the strings, if there is a good sized gap between the cover and the pickup, the magnetic field around the strings will be very weak because the pickup will be far away from the strings, thus making it sound bad.

Now, to me, this problem sounds like something that Mr. Hall should address by cleaning up the edges of the metal plate, and not with a shoddy suggestion like puting the pickup cover under the strings.:rolleyes:

10. I can also out forward a solid recommendation. I have the surround on 1 of my Rics and have the kit to do a second one when I get around to it.