1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rickenbacker bridge replacement (not hipshot)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Green Mind, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Green Mind

Green Mind

Aug 28, 2007
    BC/AB, Canada
    Hello, beautiful bass loving community. I have a project Schafer Rickenbacker copy that I'm trying to restore. I stupidly just realize the reason I couldn't intonate it properly is because of the lack of actual metal piece that sits on the bridge. I doubt I'll be able to find that piece alone for sale so I guess I'll have to get a whole new bridge. Is there a replacement model out there besides the Hipshot? I don't want to spend as much on a bridge as the bass is worth. If there isn't a suitable direct replacement would an MM style one like this be big enough to cover the routing underneath?

MMchromeBridg.

or maybe something like this
    829KNACKQ1.

I'm quite sure a fender sized one will not work so I'd appreciate some suggestions. Thanks everyone.

2. Green Mind

Green Mind

Aug 28, 2007
    BC/AB, Canada
    Anyone?

3. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
  4. Green Mind

Green Mind

Aug 28, 2007
    BC/AB, Canada
    Yes, the saddles are what I need.

5. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Just a tip: When you get the saddles for your bridge, replace the "phillips head" intonation screws with "flat socket head" screws.

getting an allen wrench in there to intonate is a lot easier than trying to use a screwdriver. ;)

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  6. Green Mind

Green Mind

Aug 28, 2007
    BC/AB, Canada
    Alright thanks. I'll make sure I do if I can get a hold of one for cheap enough.

As an alternative, does anyone know if the Music Man style bridge would be big enough? I'll try to get a picture of the area that it needs to cover if necessary.

7. mrtn400

mrtn400

Dec 6, 2008
    Carmichael, CA
    Numerous people have used this bridge as a cheap(ish) replacement and liked it.

It's a clone of the original, so it'll fit in the same hole and maintain the original look.

8. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    A little off your immediate topic but this is one of the weirdest Ric bridge replacements I've seen. And it looks like a good job. I think the original tailpiece was cut to fit in the badass.
    It's on ebay.
    RicBadass2.
    RicBadass1.

blindrabbit likes this.
  9. Green Mind

Green Mind

Aug 28, 2007
    BC/AB, Canada
    I may order one of those bridges bass parts resource if I end up buying some other parts while I'm at it. Just getting the bridge alone is going to set me back about $120 (CND) so I'm going to keep on the more cost efficient lookout.

That badass bridge replacement actually looks really nice. I may have to consider something like that.

By the way, is the black part of the bridge on rics just to be raised and used the same as foam mutes?

10. Grabber_G3V

Grabber_G3V

Feb 8, 2012
    2009 was SOME time ago...however, I have a set of vintage saddles (`70s) from an old Ibanez RIC copy that look just like the ones in the pic posted by Meyacht. They already have proper screws. If you'd like them (or anybody else for that matter) I'll let them go for $30USD. Txt me at (918)351-5646. Don't know what the Postage rates are to Canada or international, but I'll find the cheapest way to get them to ya!

11. iamprowla

iamprowla

Nov 28, 2016
    UK
    (Sorry for the necrothread...)
    I intended to do this very thing back in the 90s, but I never completed it, so I ended up with a tailpiece which I'd cut in two!