Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker Bridge Replacement

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PinkFloyd76767, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Hello,

I'm looking for a Rickenbacker bridge replacement that has a whammy bar that I could use.

Thank you

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Back in 1986 I had a Rick 4003 that I had a local shop add a Kahler whammy bridge to it. It essentially ruined the bass. The body had to be routed to countersink the whammy bridge a few millimeters down, and the whammy bridge didn't cover the holes left from the original Rick bridge, so the shop had to custom make a small pickguard to go around the new bridge. That, and the whammy bridge went out of tune frequently under the stress of the high tension of bass strings.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just be sure that you know what you might be getting into and ask questions first. If that bass is your "baby", you might want to find a different bass to try it with first.

3. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    DONT DO IT, unless you plan on beating your self up afterwards, and watch me cry :bag:

4. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    If I were going to replace a Ricky's bridge, I'd go for one of these. If I were going to replace it with a whammy – well, I wouldn't replace it with a whammy.