1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rickenbacker, budget models?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by avast_bass, May 13, 2006.

1. Hey,

Just a quick question regarding Rickenbackers. I've been a Fender man my whole life and never knew much about Ric's but im looking into them now. Anyway, do, or did, they ever make budget models? I cant seem to track any down. If they didnt, that means that a local high school has a Ric that I may just want to check out... All I know is it 'looks' like a 4003. Could it be something else?

2. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    In the 80s there were a slew or Japanese ripoffs, those are about as budget as it gets with a Rickenbacker.

3. so if its an actual rickenbacker, its a high chance of being a reasonable model?

I might see if I can pick it up for 50 quid.

4. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    If the school has one and it's genuine if they have any idea what they've got there's not a chance you're gonna pick it up anything like that cheap :p, sorry to burst your bubble. Have to admit I've fairly fond of Rics having played the odd one, they're unique and so I guess if you find the Ric tone is what you seek you have to accept the Ric price too :(.

5. the sad thing is, this is the school i attended about 4 years ago. The same people are in charge of the department as when I was there... and this is the department where the HEAD of music asked me 'which of these is a mic stand?'. They don't really keep track of what they have and all their instruments are stuck in a cupboard and fished out a couple of times a year.

They don't really have a clue what's what, which is why im hanging on to hope!

6. buy it, even if its a copy £50 is still not bad, no harm in trying

7. i dont know if i'll actually do it at 50 quid but any low amount of money is good for me! I don't really want to be stuck with a cheap copy though.

Luckily I have a younger sibling who is still studying there, so I've sent some photographs to check for authenticity ;)

8. Hemitom

Hemitom

Oct 12, 2005
    BC,Canada
    I had a 1981 White Rickenbacker 4003 which I sold because my Bartolini equipped Univox 4001 Stereo bass copy whipped its a** in sound,playability and construction!
    Judge it for what it is ..not what it says on the headstock.