1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker Burgundy - how to

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 123Turin, Feb 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 123Turin

123Turin

Jun 11, 2014
    São Paulo
    hi there i really need a help !!!

i found a rick body sanded for 200 bucks and i really like to painted burgundy

anyone could help me ...

best regards

2. earlysecond

earlysecond In Memoriam

Jan 26, 2016
    Is this somthing that you want to do yourself? Is it a complete guitar, just a body, body and neck, body neck and hardware?

Is it a genuine Ric body?

Where do you live and what, if any finishing tools to you have or have access to? While it is not black magic, refinishing a guitar can be a bit tricky if you have never done it before.

• Tricky but not impossible. At this point, I beleive you are going to have to supply more information:
    • What is the current condition of the body- you said sanded, bare wood is there binding on the edges
    • Is the body ready to pt paint on (sealed or raw wood)
    • What KIND of finish do you prefer- lacquer, oil, polyurethane???
    • Do you want an opaque finish or would you like to see the grain through the burgandy

If you answer these, other people may be able to help.

There are people here who can help but it will depend on your vision of what you would like!

Regards,
    Brent

Nev375 likes this.
  3. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Sofa-Table-4.

Well, here's some burgundy paint. That should cover the wood well enough to keep it from rotting out.

4. 123Turin

123Turin

Jun 11, 2014
    São Paulo
    im from brazil ...looks like a giannini rickenbacker

• What is the current condition of the body- you said sanded, bare wood is there binding on the edges - i get sanded
    • Is the body ready to pt paint on (sealed or raw wood) - sealed
    • What KIND of finish do you prefer- lacquer, oil, polyurethane??? -any
    • Do you want an opaque finish or would you like to see the grain through the burgandy - see the grain
    the body is with my luthier and we have no reference in how to do it , we see a lot of pictures in the web
    but im really confused ...about the standard color .... burgundy or burgundy glo

best regards

5. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Do you just want to just paint it a solid burgundy color or a trans burgundy finish?

Its pretty straight forward, even though the binding makes it a little tricky. You will have to seal the wood, (I use clear as the wood sealer) spray the color, scrape the binding, and then spray your clear coats. I don't know what products are available in Brazil, or what kind of spray equipment your luthier has, so its kind of hard to recommend a product.

6. 123Turin

123Turin

Jun 11, 2014
    São Paulo
    i prefer a trans burgundy finish for sure

7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Does the guy spraying it have access to spray equipment or, is this going to be a rattle can finish?

8. earlysecond

earlysecond In Memoriam

Jan 26, 2016
    Another limitation is that its hard to know what paint supplies you can get and use!

9. earlysecond

earlysecond In Memoriam

Jan 26, 2016
    In general a translucent burgandy, where the grain is visible can be done with a stain or dye for the color, then multiple coatsbof clear. There is an entire process for getting great results but it will depend on what you can get where you live. Sorry we cant help more. Where would you buy varnish, stain or other products where you live?

10. 123Turin

123Turin

Jun 11, 2014
    São Paulo
    thanks for all support

Attached Files:

1.jpg
      File size:
      8.9 KB
      Views:
  11. That escalated quickly...

12. earlysecond

earlysecond In Memoriam

Jan 26, 2016
    Turin- i understand why you would want a trans burgandy Ric. . .the one you posted look great.

13. 123Turin

123Turin

Jun 11, 2014
    São Paulo
    man i can´t wait to get this color ...

14. 123Turin

123Turin

Jun 11, 2014
    São Paulo
    Made it

Attached Files:

JMacBass65, lbridenstine and mapleglo like this.
  15. earlysecond

earlysecond In Memoriam

Jan 26, 2016
    Very well played!

16. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I would like to see more pics. Nice bass

17. Dude! Looks like you have an early 4003. The two extra screws in the tailpiece and the two piece pickguard are the tell tale signs. I have an 85 myself, and yours looks a lot like mine.

What's the serial number?

And yes, more pics please!

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  18. earlysecond

earlysecond In Memoriam

Jan 26, 2016
    That would be really cool if it turned out to be true! Best wishes!

19. 123Turin

123Turin

Jun 11, 2014
    São Paulo
    Yeah its an early 4003 two peixe pickguard ....the best bass i have my whole life...

JRA and JMacBass65 like this.
  20. 123Turin

123Turin

Jun 11, 2014
    São Paulo
    Serial number YE 0926

JMacBass65 likes this.