1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker Copies For Sale?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NicMac13, Nov 6, 2010.

1. NicMac13

NicMac13

Nov 6, 2010
    Winchester,CA
    Hey im lookin for a rickenbacker 4003 or 4001 copy, if anyone knows of a site that sells em please post it here! Thanks

2. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Ebay. that's all. that or some overseas company. But don't buy anything from the latter, they are el cheapo, and are really horrible copies. RIC did a good job getting copyright on their design. You can't get a NEW Ric copy from anybody in our hemisphere.

3. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    El Degas (I think) has a really good copy. I LOVED the one I played. I think theyre valued at like $600

4. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    The prices of real Rics (used) are coming down and the price of copies (new) are going up. Consider that.

5. Wait for a real one. I have one I'm trying to haggle on, and I'm moving in for the kill. :)

6. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    If you want it, get their info. It won't be there on monday.

7. It might. Typically they get pulled when they use the name of Rickenbacker.

In this case, they aren't reselling as a "Rickenbacker" and I think there's a small loophole there... but only if you don't market it as a Rickenbacker.

It's being sold straight up as an Electra "lawsuit copy" which implies Rickenbacker but does not say Rickenbacker anywhere... unless I overlooked it.

8. That seems so true, i saw a used Ric for about $1200 on eBay the other day

9. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    No loophole, still a trademark infringement, every bit as much as it was when the original lawsuit was closed, and for all of the same reasons.
    The body shape, pickguard, TRC, etc. are all trademarked.
    It doesn't matter what you call it, that just makes it harder for the RIC lawyers to spot.
    It'll surely be gone early Monday morning (California time) when the lawyers contact ebay.

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1- just save up and get a real Ric. You'll be glad you did.

11. NicMac13

NicMac13

Nov 6, 2010
    Winchester,CA
    yeah i think i will just do that, if im gonna be spending around 600 hundred for a copy or somewhere around that price range might as well wait and get the real deal

12. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    ^^^ Yep. The copies made some form of sense when they were <$400. Now, not so much.

13. NicMac13

NicMac13

Nov 6, 2010
    Winchester,CA
    i also have an idea that im gonna mod the hell out of my bass that i have right now, i will post a thread on it though

14. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I got my 1976 4001FL in shabby but perfectly playable condition earlier this year for $800. Don't get too discouraged, a good deal is not impossible to find.

15. There's a company called Anniversary which sell rick copies for £400 ($640). In the UK, at least!

16. NicMac13

NicMac13

Nov 6, 2010
    Winchester,CA
    do you have any pics available?

17. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Well this is how it is now...

4001FL-big.

18. I'll echo this statement.

I picked up my 4003S/5 for less than $1000 almost 2 years ago when it was not even a month prior one sold on ebay for $3700-3900 IIRC. I think that sale was a fluke.

It had sat in a case for nearly 20 years and was pulled out only occasionally the last decade or so.

So basically it was in mint condition...

Just keep your eyes open and have that money ready and available so you can pounce on it when it comes up.