1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

rickenbacker copies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mofo-Kang, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I just got an old lawsuit Aria Pro copy of a Rickenbacker. The hardware's in awful condition, but the wooden parts are surprisingly good--a few dings and chips, but nothing major. If the hardware's replaced, I think it'll be a pretty nice bass. So my question is, since I've never owned a genuine Rickenbacker, how close are these old copies? Like, will Ricky parts fit them? Or am I going to have to be real careful about measuring everything before ordering replacement tuners from hipshot or the like?

2. Very hard to tell without seeing the bass. Some of those lawsuits were very accurate, but some were very different. Some were neck through with repro-pickups, others were bolt-on with mini-humbuckers, and every combination between. The closer to a real rick the more likely rick parts will fit. That said, it is hard to come by rick parts, and you may want to look for similar aftermarket parts.(Gotoh and Hipshot make some rick - similar parts)

3. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA

It looks pretty accurate to me--I mean the shape, the fact that it's neck-through, etc. I'll see about taking some pics tonight. I might have to replace the pickups, too--the bridge one is either super-loose or completely disconnected from the body. Whoever had it before me really did a number on it.

4. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Okay, I was lazy and it took a while to get the pics done, but here we go. Like that tuner? :meh:

Like I said, it looks pretty close to a real Ric to me, but I've never owned one so it might not be exact. Anyone think Ric replacement parts would fit this? Anyone with a real Ric think it looks pretty close?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I have a nice Ibanez lawsuit bass. It's bolt on, but the sound is still pretty close, due in part to the fact that I'm pretty sure the previous owner installed actual Rickenbacker pickups. The neck is really comfortable, too. It's not quite a Rickenbacker, but it's a good bass.

6. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    yeah, I can believe it. This one doesn't look like much right now, but I think it's really going to be something when I get it fixed up. :) It's even got the stereo output jack, too.

7. I saw that on the bay. Other than the tuners, I would clean it up and keep what you have!! Maybe new pups.

8. zeppelinbass95

zeppelinbass95

Dec 26, 2008
    PA
    where did you buy this?

9. I have an 82 4001 in jetglo (black) and I'd say this bass...at least looks-wise...is pretty good. I also have the Grover tuners on mine, & they look very similar to the 3 original tuners you have on yours. You're going to have to take a chance on some things, I say go for a set of Grover tuners (if they're still available) to resolve that issue. As for the electronics, well, she's looking kind of rough there. Go for the aftermarket pickups available for a Ric, & you'll have the closest thing available. Might take some tweaking, but you should wind up with a decent bass.

10. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I have an Ibanez bolt on. The only metal on the one I bought were the frets and neckplate. No-name Rickenbacker replacement bridge pickup surround/cover and bridge bought from Ebay stores fit, but with slight modification. IIRC Screw holes did not exactly line up with bridge surround. Foam mute pad on bridge needed to be trimmed, as it was constantly muting strings at its lowest point. Rickenbacker sized neck pickup was too deep, would not fit in the very shallow neck pickup cavity.

Bridge pickup surround did not include the piece the pickup mounts to, so I had to make one. Rickenbacker pickguard from a '79 4001 was close, but did not quite fit. Made from tracing that part from my Ric, had to modify shape with careful Dremel use to adapt it to the Ibanez.

I used open gear Schaller tuners, screw holes did not line up but otherwise fit OK.

I like the Bartolini replacement pickups. I have not tried the Duncans. My Ric actually sounded pretty good with an EMG Select guitar humbucker sized pickup in the bridge, but the replacement bridge pickup hardware I bought for the copy would not accommodate the size.