rickenbacker copyrights.....a few ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dr_love2112, Feb 16, 2006.

1. dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    does rickenbacker have a copy right for how they wire up their "rick-o-sound" i want to put that type of design on a jazz bass, minus the pickup switch. could i get in trouble if i did it for my self???? would fender get in trouble if they try to do that on their jazzes???

if so im :bag:
  2. You can do whatever you want to your own bass.
  3. truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    yeah copyright infringment would only be a problem if u tried to market it to the public, if they do hold the patents, i don't think rickenbacker knows who u are or will be looking for you anytime soon.
  4. dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    so someone has a pantent on how its wired up???:confused:
  5. Probably, but would it be worth it to go to court over for them? Probably not.

Most companies are very loose with their guitar styles... unless they think you are trying to trick others into buying their product. Usually its the headstock that is taken to court, not the insides or body designs.

I hear Ric protects their body designs though.
  6. steve21

steve21 Banned

^ Yeah, but no matter what, a company can't arrest a guy for modding his instrument with their pickups, their wiring systems, or even for making a copy (themselves, doing it by hand). The only way they can get you is if you sell it commercially.
  7. In fact, a guy could build a dead nuts copy of a Rick for himself without infringing the company's rights. It's when the copy instrument is made in multiples for sale or marketed singly with the Rick name somewhere in the advertisement (i.e. "Rickenbacker copy") that you'll run into problems.
  8. Bassology

Bassology Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Rickenbacker is really tough on enforcing their copyrights. Once I had a Ibanez Lawsuit (Rick Copy) bass put up for sale on eBay, the auction was pull out within in a day. All because I mentioned the name Rickenbacker in the ad.
  9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    You can't copyright a wiring method. You could possibly patent it, as an invention. However, all patents run out in 20 years, and I believe RIC has been wiring this way for quite a long time. (Copyrights are renewable, in perpetuity I think, but patents are not renewable.) So, even if there were a patent, it would have run out.

If I'm not mistaken, wiring setups like that are simply a switched mono/stereo setup, also used on many things other than guitars.
  10. dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    i tought that sience i made a stereo bass that looked like a stock jazz (3 knobs) i was going to patent it. but i guess it maight have already been done that a way.
  11. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    You taught science?? OK, now I get it.
    You may want to look into patent law a bit. I don't think you can just patent any new combination of preexisting features, none of which are new. Unless the combination brings about a new and unique functionality, which would then be patentable.
  12. dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    oh well........but hey my bass sounds cool now (geddy jazz) with the stereo set up. more lows plus the "geddy" highs and mids of before!!!! i think it sound pretty cool

i can post up the wiring diagram if yall want it!!!!
  13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You guys are talking about patents. It's not the same thing as 'copyright' at all. It's also very different from trademark.

The terms are not interchangeable.
  14. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
  15. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Yamaha Attitude bass that Billy Sheehan plays has dual outputs direct from the factory. IIRC, there's a push pot switch that allows both pups to route to one output if you are only using one amp.