1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

rickenbacker crooked pickup?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thrasher, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    NO bass is perfect. If the neck is good, no dead spots and the instrument vibrates nicely with good zing and note balance you're way ahead of the game. If I have those things, I couldn't give a monkey's whether a pickup is a little angled down in a big-assed cavity with a chrome bracket around it.
    If this guy wants a Ric and the instrument is otherwise good i sure as heck wouldn't advise him to send it back and wait an indeterminant time for another uncertainty (which every instrument is).
    I don't know, maybe you buy instruments to put in a glass case.

2. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Employee
    Not when you are paying 2 grand for it. You are in fact behind the game at that point.

Good for you.

What kind of instruments do you buy which leads you to believe there should be uncertainty? No instrument should be uncertain especially nowadays with the technology. Somehow Musicman puts out bass after bass with consistency. Somehow G&L puts out bass after bass with consistency, and somehow Lakland manages to do the same thing. There is no reason a two thousand dollar bass should have inconsistencies, none whatsoever.

No I simply expect my basses to come to me exactly the same as the last one they put out. Rickenbacker has problems and I'm tired of people saying "well they are handmade". That doesn't excuse poor craftsmanship. To let this slide simply because "its a RIC" is the reason these chumps are charging 2 grand for a bass not worth half that and still have a backlog. Just because there is a demand doesn't mean you should sacrifice your standards. You may feel comfortable doing that but I don't.

Dan

3. I totally agree. I would think this is completely unacceptable in a bass of this price range. And if what the precious poster said about what the hide with their finish is true then my mind = blown!

I would take the bass to a good tech and ask him how much it is to fix it. It probably won't be all that much. Whatever it is take it back to the store you bought it at and ask for a refund of that amount.

If they won't do that then I would return the bass and either roll the dice on an other one or take the $2000 elsewhere with a manufacturer who cares a little bit about what they hand their customers.

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Yeah, you'd be suprised whats hidden under solid finishes, Gibson fill in dings with superglue, and sandpaper over until dust fills 'em...

5. Yup my 2003 4003 looks just like that.
    B

6. There are a LOT of good basses to be had in that price range...up to and including a used Ric that was assembled with a little more care. You might even save a buck or two and be able to pick up one of those consistent Squiers I keep hearing about.

Mike

7. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Another option is to contact RIC's customer service. I have had nothing but spectacular service from them. It would certainly be a PITA to return to the company for service but that's what the warranty is for and I'm sure they'd take care of it quickly.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to that. New bass = warranty. Give 'em a call.

9. okay okay, i contacted customer service and il see what they say. you know it would seem like it would be more wise to buy a music man, g&l, or a lakland...but none of those basses imo have even a quarter the charactor and overall awesomeness of a ric.

10. Subjective blinders: ON!!!

Mike

11. no no man i didnt mean it like that! thats just my opinion and thats all it is:smug:

12. I'm just messing with you, man. I hope the situation gets fixed to your satisfaction.

Mike

13. :) thanks dude

14. Roger Haworth

Roger Haworth

Mar 31, 2005
    I really wouldn't worry about it. My 1989 2003 has a slightly crooked treble p/u. Each one will be unique!

15. mobis.fr

mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
    germany
    [​IMG]

this is taken from my 2008 rick :crying:

but it seems, that the direction of the twist is always the same...

16. nope man mine goes the other way:rollno:

17. mobis.fr

mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
    germany
    maybe your pickup is assembled incorrect :D

edit:
    oh wait... that won't work that way... :p

18. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    What planet are you from???
    I play Music Man basses at stores that range from pretty good to ABSOLUTELY HOSED with terrible action and unusable amounts of buzz to the point that notes completely crap out. I've played new Laklands with the action jacked up so high to compensate for bad neck relief and/or unfinished fretwork that I was blown away.
    And aside from inconsistent setup, your expectation that "my basses to come to me exactly the same as the last one they put out" is simply RIDICULOUS. There is a LOT of variation from bass to bass - It's a musical instrument made of WOOD!
    Some will NEVER be as good as others, no matter how optimally you adjust it and many good ones are significanly different from each other. I've got two Spector Euro LX - same exact model, different colors and guess what? They're different. They sound noticably different. They feel noticably different.
    I'm very picky. 80-90% of instruments I play at stores would require some combination of neck adjustment, bridge adjustment and fret leveling for me to consider using it. But something like a slightly angled pickup? If the bass is otherwise right, I'd blow it off and PLAY IT. Ya know? PLAYING BASS?
    If it really bugged me I'd take an afternoon and fix it. BFD.
    You can expect all you want but that's not how it is in the real world.

19. So you would blow off instruments that main problem is needing a setup but completely accept a bass with manufacturing defects? Ummm......OK.

20. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    Had the same type of problem on my 4003. I was able to loosen the screws that hold the pickup to the plastic plate and line it up correctly. I think when they tighten the screws down it might move the pickup. Anyhow it was an easy fix for my bass.