1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

rickenbacker crooked pickup?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thrasher, Mar 27, 2009.

1. As far as I know you are just some guy on the internet spouting opinion as well. So as long as you don't work for one of the companies we are discussing then we will agree that you know about as much as I know. I would kindly suggest not talking down to me. Justify your purchases anyway you want.

What you described was grain filler. That is not epoxy OR putty. It is common practice in treating grain on instrument bodies (transparent and solid colors) so it has a nice even flat finish.

What the previous poster was describing was large gouges and damages done while cutting the wood that they wood puttied up and gave a solid finish to. Again....I have never seen any stripped Fenders that had putty in gouges. If you have some photos feel free to post them up.

Either way my opinion stands that this is sloppy work for a company that charges that high of a premium. Feel free to disagree but I am done with it as long as you feel like talking down to people.

2. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    MASS QUANTITIES? Lakland Skyline? C'mon! You're crackin' me up here.

3. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Employee
    Let me clue you in to something, these factories aren't only producing Lakland basses. They have a large volume of product and to stop and pull one off the line and fill and sand a large gouge might be be cost prohibitive. Like I said, I don't know for sure this happens but you don't know that it does either.

4. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    I worked for Rickenbacker for nearly two years. I'm speaking from direct experience.

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    So, working for Rickenbacker gives you intimate knowledge of Lakland and Fender, and every other companies factorys.....:rolleyes:

6. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Employee
    Well I'm sure they pleased as punch to have you out here representing them by telling the world about their gouge and fill practices:D

7. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    You don't have to stop anything. It's not Ford Motor Company. It's not a continuous motion automated assembly line. They're done in batches and stages.

8. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    How much direct factory experience making basses do you have?

9. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    About the same as you, when it comes to Lakland.;)

10. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Employee
    It was a figure of speech. I understand how the process works; what I'm saying is that it could be cost prohibitive. Rickenbacker is in a unique position because people don't expect anything from them. Dealers don't know when they are coming and consumers are apparently fine waiting years for one of their basses. Not everyone is in that position though.

11. I'm betting none that involved crooked pickups.......

Mike

12. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    Great. Let's hear about it then.

13. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    You'd have that right, every pickup I've installed, has gone in at the correct/desired angle.:D

14. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    First, how long have you been working for Lakland?

15. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Employee
    What he's saying is that your brief stint at Rickenbacker doesn't give you knowledge of the practices of other companies.

16. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Yup! I thought I was pretty clear.....

17. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    Well, you know now.
    "They have a large volume of product and to stop and pull one off the line and fill and sand a large gouge might be be cost prohibitive." is an interesting figure of speech.

18. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Employee
    "pull one off the line" was the figure of speech.

19. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Employee
    It was:D

20. I said I would stay out and as far as opinions on Rics I most certainly will but since Lakland production is being discussed I will present some info on their process. (NOTE: I have not past or present worked for Lakland in manufacturing or any of the companies they deal with)

Lakland selects their wood from a local Chicago supplier. I do not know their process or what goes into selection but I know that it is local wood supplier. The wood is then sent to a seperate milling company that cuts the bodies for them. Once they are cut they are sent to Lakland prior to be sent out to a third company that handles the finishing.

I "assume" (emphasis on assume) that since it is an outside milling company that if something was damaged in the cutting process that Lakland would refuse it and the company would do with it what they will. Since it is a milling company they can probably do all kinds of things with that body. This is not Lakland or the milling company "throwing a body out"

Again this is just an assumption based on their process.