1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker Dream - I may need an intervention

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malthumb, Mar 17, 2009.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I have been GAS free for a lonnnngggg time.

I RARELY remember my dreams. Almost never with any real detail or clarity.

Last night I dreamed that I had a Rickenbacker amongst my stable of basses, was gigging with it, and was in the process of negotiating to buy a second one. Where the heck did that come from? I don't think I've ever even played a Rickenbacker anywhere, anytime in life! But when I woke up I was trying to remember where I had left the Rick and what my next move should be to make the deal on the second one! ***?!?!?

I am a diagnosed and confirmed Alemb-o-holic with a tinge of Roscoe-head. Is this a sign that I may be falling off the wagon? Being pulled to the dark side? Tiptoeing into some taboo behaviour?

Just thought I'd share.

Peace,

James

2. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    Don't know where it comes from but, it's a powerful force.Don't try to fight it.:D

3. Hyper-sloth

Hyper-sloth Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    I've wanted a 4001 for years. I almost got one back in 1984 for $350 but the guy changed his mind...it was a Maple Glo! Then my wife sold hers ( before I met her...that would've been grounds for divorce !!) for $400 to a friend. Sigh.

4. I love my Ric...it's the one bass I'll never part with...others will come and go, but the Ric is forever

5. chnapz

chnapz

Aug 6, 2007
    France
    Nice dream James !!

I got my new midnight blue 4003 a few months ago - I love it and just started to play with flatwound strings, the sound and feel are great

6. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    the only other 4 string that I think comes close to a Ric's playability is a well set-up Gibson Thunderbird.

an early 80s model 4001 (heavily modded...SD pickups and badass bridge) was my 1st "good" bass. I played it on two cds, used it as my primary for 6 years. Awesome bass...great tone (even though the SDs altered the ric sound a little) and a great playing neck.

7. rouge127

rouge127

Apr 2, 2007
    Columbus OH
    I love my Rick as well. I had a dream two nights ago that it broke at a gig. I mean the neck just snapped in half! It was so vivid. When I woke up I seriously thought it was gone. I felt empty until I saw it again. Weird.

8. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    AHA! When we analyze your dream and my dream together, one can only come to one conclusion........Rick is resorting to subliminal seduction to sell basses!

9. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    I myself always wanted a rick and finally got one in early Febuary. I love it.

10. Yep, end of story. They aint perfect, but they are all Ric. you have the bug I am afraid and like many chronic illnesses it has it's drawbacks and others may marginalize you for it, but you gotta cope any way you can. Time to shell out obscene money and wait forever for your meds.

11. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    About two years ago, I also had a very vivid dream in which I had a Ric. It was a used one but I think that made it even more realistic. I have no idea where this came from; I'm really not planning on buying a Ric.

12. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Malthumb,

Funny you mention having Ric-gas. A couple of months ago, a new Ric 4003 came up at Bass NW and I went down there to check it out. I've always loved the body style and after trying it, I really dug it and made the plunge. The more I play it, the more I like it. Now, here's where it gets interesting. The Rick-o-Sound feature allows me to use my amps in a similar way as my Alembic does with the Series electronics. If you were to make a Ric plunge, you might find the same revelation. BTW, Bass NW has some cool Rics in stock right now.

Have fun.
    Bones

13. phall2112

phall2112

Dec 31, 2008
    I will never forgive myself for trading mine.

14. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    That's the funny thing about this. I DON'T have Ric gas. That's what has me so puzzled. I can't remember the last time I saw a Ric (other than TB pictures). I haven't gone into any stores lately. PArt of the secret to being GAS-free. I really don't go through the course of my day even thinking about a Ric, but then all of a sudden in an early morning fog, I not only wake up thinking that I have one, but also wondering which room I left it in and whether or not to go through with the "deal" on the 2nd one.

Where's Rod Serling when you need him?

Peace,

James