1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rickenbacker Fat?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Sep 22, 2001.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How can I get a new Rickenbacker to sound like the 4004 II? I love the looks and the playability of the 4003 but prefer the fatter humbuckingsound of the 4004. I know seymor duncan, bartolini and Alembic makes replacement pickups (if my memory tells me right). has anyone changed to humbuckers on a 4003? I´ve also heard that the horseshoe pickup gets a fatter sound but I don´t think I could get used to the pickup cover-thing.

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Anyone? Please...
    I´ve heard this mentioned here before but I don´t know what pickup to get.

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    have you checker out the lond rickenbacker thread? i can't help with your question i have a stock rick 4001. i know alembic, bartolini and emg, plus SD do pickups that can be put on the rick without body modifications. but i feel a little bit strange that you want to change the clanky tone of a rick. if i want a more "bass" sound i pick up my jazz bass. there is the chance for you to install rickenbacker humbuckers too. that couls be great. if you check out rickenbacker thread you'll find a couple og links that sell rick replacement pickup direct. give a try!

4. Lumpycat

Lumpycat

Sep 16, 2001
    Philadelphia PA
    You might have the wrong bass. I've been playing a 4001 for almost 12 years straight and the paint has been rubbed off. When I play with a pick I use the bridge pick up and when I use my fingers I toggle to the neck position. Have you tried playing around with the tone positions and your amp? It might be your amp as well. I would try playing it through a different rig if possible. I think it's a shame to modify such a classic bass.

-Lumpy

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes i agree that it´s a bit of a shame to modyfie such a classic but I love the sound of Fender -basses and I love the stringspacing (at the bridge) of the Rick. I also love the neck and the looks of the rick but the sound is just not "fat" enough IMO.

6. Prescription: Flatwounds