1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker finish vote

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KeithPoker, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Mapleglo

49 vote(s)
    48.5%
  2. Fireglo

52 vote(s)
    51.5%
  1. Out of mapleglo and fireglo only

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    What about the other colors?

r4004%20022.

mb5%20025.

goth-03-19. 4003bt%20006.

Rimg0714.

Picture%20114.

4004ci5-0044.

3. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    i went with Mapleglo only because I find their aesthetic more consistent than the Fireglo, which can look a little hit-or-miss (see: Clownglo). If you find a really killer FG, though, that would trump the nicest MG for me

4. I love all the finishes! I just kept it to those two because I've been considering a C64 purchase.

5. Haha Clownglo, that's funny because the lack of blending is largely desired on early Fender sunburst basses.

6. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    My first Rick was an '87 "BozoGlo" with a fantastic neck! Likely the "smallest" Rick neck I've ever felt! But that fuzzy racing stripe around the perimeter drove me nutz!

I have a nice C64 alternative you might like. PM sent.

7. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I don't understand that. Kinda interesting, though, in that the visual features favored are opposite like that.

8. bump, let's get some more votes :)

9. Kharkfum

Kharkfum

Aug 21, 2013
    I'll vote for mapleglo just as soon as I can stop laughing about BozoGlo. That made me snort decaf out my nose. :D

10. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Although it's not my favorite Ric finish (that would be Blueburst), I have to go with Mapleglo. For several reasons, I have a deep dislike of anything red; and I especially dislike Fireglo.

11. Before people told me about Clownglo I thought maybe 20% of the Fireglos looked bad but now so many more seem to have a clown inside them I cannot escape!

12. HosMan

HosMan Los! Zum dritten Mal denn!

Aug 24, 2009
    Northern CA,USA
    I voted for Fireglo as it is,IMHO,the best looking finish(with Mapleglo being a close 2nd).

If I`m ever at a point where I feel my playing is good enough(and I can afford) a Rickenbacker,then the color will not be an issue. :smug:

HosMan

13. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    Get both! :D
    And my Laredo is a clownglo,thankfully largely obscured now by the custom pickguard.
    I've always liked Mapleglo,but some of the more recent fireglos have just been stunning!

Attached Files:

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Your choice, but mine would be Fireglo. I think natural finishes are meh. :meh:

15. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Fireglo for me. I see much more mapleglo than fireglo on Rickenbackers these days.

16. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I have found that Rickenbacker's Fireglo has varied over the years. Some years it was pinkish, other years it was orangeish, other years it was burgundyish. But I still prefer good old Mapleglo.

17. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I voted for Fireglo, mostly because I have one. I don't think it looks like Bozoglo, but a bit of weirdness is good sometimes. It's almost disappointing to have a normal looking Ric, instead of Bozoglo.

18. Ross McLochness

Ross McLochness Living Room Bassist Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Definitely Mapleglo.

19. I think you hit the nail on the head. MG is a better blind bet, FG if I can be selective and patient.

20. My favorite burst finish by Ric is autumglo(70's)\walnut gloss(that's what they called it in the 80's)..with that said I currently like the mapleglo because it kind of reminds me of Chris Squire's bass with the walnut headstock wings..however,the newer fireglo is getting better..the ones from a few years back had a pinkish thing happening that was just awful..