Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker,G&L,or Spector???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Usul, Jan 29, 2001.

1. Hi all,

Still trying to decide on what bass I finally get when I have the money.BassNW has G&Ls sb-2 for 699.00new and Spectors for like 599.00(not sure the modle# but it is the one that lists for 995.00).

Music123.com sells new ricenbacker 4003 for 917.00(choice of colornot just mapleglow!).

Hard for me to find all the basses I am considering and test drive them so let me hear some opinions?

Ich bedanke mich bei Euch!:)

2. i would talk to music123 about the Ric, i talked to them a couple of months ago about a Ric, salesman #1 said "we have a ton in stock" next day saleman #2 said "no we won't have those until march"

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm not sure of the model names and numbers, so I apologize if I get anything confused...

I've never played the cheapest Spector of the lot...But, from what I hear, it's worth overlooking or upgrading immediately to the Europe Series. I can tell you, however, that if your budget would allow, you're probably best off doing that.

If your budget cannot upgrade by $1,000, go for the G&L. It'll provide you with great versatility and they're really well made!

4. I highly recommend the SB-2. It's by far my favourite passive bass that I've ever owned. The sound and workmanship are great. I do have an old Ric that is a great bass, but I don't find it terribly versatile. The SB-2 suits almost any musical situation.

The G&L L-2000 is also a great bass, and probably more versatile, but the SB-2 has a certain sweetness about the tone that the L-2000 doesn't quite have.

5. Usul, this is hard to answer since we don't know what kind
    of music you're into. I personally love Rics, but their
    popularity dropped since the 80s. I guess it's because they
    have a *very* distinct sound. I think they'd sound good for
    Jazz, but, that's the last place you'd see them. I've haven't played any G&ls yet, but I've heard a few live, and
    they sounded pretty good. I know a lot of guys here hold
    them in very high regard. I haven't played any Spectors
    either, but, was in the store when someone else was checking
    one out; I was impressed. If possible try to get to a music
    store(I know, easier said than done) because unless you've
    played a bass yourself, you really can't judge one just by
    looking at it. I've gone to music stores thinking "That
    such and such bass must sound dynamite!", played one, and
    realized it sounded like garbage. I just bought an Epi Jack
    Casady without ever playing one, but, from playing for so
    many years, and playing so many basses, I took a calculated
    risk, and was very pleasantly rewarded. The Jack sounded
    different, but, better than I'd expected. If you can't get
    to a music store I'd say the G&l would probably give the
    most "traditional" sound, judgeing from what other people
    have said. Then, there's the money factor...

Good luck in your search. I'm sure some others will add their 2 cents.

Talk later,
    Mike J.

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    mmmh the three toy like to have are good basses and everyone has different tone and range.
    i actually play a rick, i honestly think that rick have the best necks i've played, i also think that they have not so great pickups and electronics, rics are not so powerful and need a good amp to make you smile. they are absolutely not so versatile but they are ****ing great for rock and the bridge pickups sound awesome with a little bit of chorus or distorted using a pick.
    spector are more versatile, but do not have the personality of the rick and to my eyes they are very ugly, nothing can compare the beauty of a rick and mapleglo are great, trust me, mine is mapleglo (...and girls really like ricks...)
    the sb2 is a greatbass in the precision vein, with a lot of punch perhaps the best p style bass around with high quality workmanship, as the rick.
    i suggest rick if you play rock
    sb2 if you play mostly rock and if you have other kind of music to make in the next future, but if you play different kind of music maybe with different bands go with the spector.
    good luck

7. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    The answer is obvious.....RICKENBACKER!

Reason - Better quality and better sound.

8. SantasCabanaBoy

SantasCabanaBoy

Jan 15, 2001
    In my opinion the Rickenbacker is just the best value out there. You get a truly professional bass for under $1000 and it comes with a case! If you like the feel and tone of a ric go for it, you wont regret it. The craftmanship and finish are just wonderful. I love my Ric so much that my frieds make fun of me because i treat it so well. The only real down side is the rics signature sound. A deep piano like tone, I love it but it doesnt always fit with athe type of music you are playing. It holds up well in hard rock type situations very well, and if you put the tone up on the neck pickup and sounds sick with a thick overdriven distortion pedal.

9. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    As the RIC owners assemble for the inevitable group hug, I would be ungrateful if I did not add how much I love mine. My P bass is gathering dust. I think you can dial in different tones with it. No question it is a rock and roll bass. The neck is a joy to play.

10. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Wow. Apple, Orange or Cherry? Each of these manufacturers basses that are fairly different in sound and feel from those of the other two.

I recently have tried all three and they are really different. I tried a couple of spectors in different price ranges and they weren't my cup of tea soundwise, but others swear by them, particularly a lot of folks who are into slap. That's not to say that Spectors aren't versitile; these might be the pick if you want a bass for many different styles. The G&L's are also really great workhorses with a bunch of tonal possibilities (although I can't recall seeing many jazz players use them). I wasn't fond of the necks and I thought the pickups sounded a little too clean/sterile for what I wanted. But those are my hangups, not anything negative about the instrument. The Ric is the most unique of the bunch. It is very well-made, but it has a very distinct tone and look that is not to everyone's liking. Many folks think this limits their use. For my part, I think they are not well-suited to slap, but others disagree.

Having said that, I the VERY proud and happy owner of a Mapleglow Ric 4003. I absolutely love its look, tone and feel and wouldn't trade it for anything (other than a 4001 previously owned by either Geddy Lee or Chris Squire).

My best advise is not to buy anything until you've spent an hour or so playing each. Compared to your Ibanez, the necks on all of these basses will seem pretty wide. Each will sound different, too. You may even want to bring a strap along to see how the weight and shape feel when you play standing up. If you've already done all this and I'm being redundant, please forgive me.

Bottom line: These are all high quality manufacturers, so think about what your needs are, try them all, and buy the one that best suits your needs and tastes.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

11. Well it's obvious! My Rick 4001 that I have listed here and with a new LOW price!