Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker guitars

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Dec 31, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

I've noticed that there are many renowned bassists who have played Rics (Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, Sir Paul, Roger Glover...), but aside from pics and vids of John Lennon playing his Rickenbacker during the Beatlemania era, can't think of other notable examples. The Ric site has an artists' photo gallery but the only meaningful name to me there is Glenn Frey (and Roger McGuinn to a certain extent). Any other famous names associated with Rickenbacker guitars? Or is there something wrong with those guitars that makes them less popular than basses? (BTW, Lemmy is definitely their flagship artist) Thanks for your input!

2. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Peter Buck of REM, Tom Petty & Mike Campbell come to mind.

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    They have a unique sound, just think of the poeple mentioned. Most rockers have gone for the Les Paul, Stat sound till PRS started taking over.

4. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    The guy from Jimmy Eats World plays one as well as the guitarist from Switchfoot. Not all the time but you are starting to see more of them. In the country world I see Mary Chapin Carpenter playing playing a 620 series electric and a Ric 700 series acoustic guitar. The acoustics seem really rare. I have never seen one in person.

They have a "ringy" tone to them so not many people play them as a do it all guitar like a Les Paul or Strat. I'm suprised that more Country artists don't use them.

They really play nice though. I love the the 330 myself. I will own one someday, just like I will own a 4003.

Rics are just special.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    After several years of lusting for one, I managed to score a 650D last year. Ric makes very sweet guitars - I'd love a 660/12!

6. yeah, I would love to get a 650d(or any 600 series),but what I really lust after is a 480 or 481(slant fret model),they are the match to the 4001 bass and a pretty rare bird..

7. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I want a 360/12. I played one in a store a few years ago and I loved how it played/sounded.

8. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    Tom Petty and Pete Townsend both have a signature series Rickenbacker guitar.

from www.the-music-connection.com
    Tom Petty:
    [​IMG]

Pete Townsend
    [​IMG]

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    John Fogerty played one around the first hits they had with CCR.. He mentions this in a speak on the Premonition DVD, after busting out a Rickenbacker.

10. Robin Zander from Cheap Trick played a couple of different Ric guitars:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think I remember seeing Joe Walsh playing one in the Hell Freezes Over DVD.

12. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Alex Lifeson of Rush may have played a 12 during the recording of A Farewell to Kings or during that era.