Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker Help Needed: Newish Bassist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Largo.NPC, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Largo.NPC

Largo.NPC

Aug 5, 2005
    Yo, Although I got my first bass around 2 years ago, I've only just started playing it properly and have formed a band with a few friends.
    I'm after a new bass, and I really like the look of Rickenbackers.
    The problem is, it looks hard to play for myself, as I usually rest my thumb on the pickups, which seems pretty impossible with the rickenbackers I've seen.

The main thing I like about the rickenbacker is the head, I love the shape. I've looked on google and asked around if anyone knows of a cheap copy of a rickenbacker with the same shape but couldn't find anything. If anyone on here would be able to point me in the right direction, I'd be very greatfull.

A perfect bass for me would look like the one in This Picture (But not left handed like shown here)

Thanks alot

Largo.

*EDIT*
    droool

Also, it has to be blue :D

2. Largo.NPC

Largo.NPC

Aug 5, 2005
    Nice. I don't think theres any point in me going for a full blown ric yet, I'm more or less just starting out, plus money is really tight at the min.
    Also, I'm based in the UK, and unfortunatly that seller only ships to canada and US.

Thanks though.

3. Damn, good luck man.

4. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Unless you end up getting a Ricky with an actual vintage or vintage reissue "Horseshoe" pickup, taking that pickup cover off isn't all that tough. It's just a chromed plastic cover meant to emulate the look of a vintage "Horseshoe" pickup. It's easily removed. Just proceed one step at a time.

The actual "Horseshoes" on the other hand... well, those are actually part of the pickup... removable, yes (with some effort)... but not a recommended mod.

5. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    that bass in the 1st link you posted is my rickenbacker... left handed, midnight blue and everything.

When i got my ric (used, covered with stickers and beat to hell) the first thing i did was take the pup cover off. Not hard at all, but the metal ring around the pup has some sharp edges... still have a hint of a scar.

6. Yeah I always rest my thumb on the pickup. I bought a Ric in the first place cos I liked the sound and was a bit baffled about how to play it. I took the pickup cover off but found it too uncomfortable because the edge of the pickup surround is so far from the strings.

So I put the cover back on and rest my thumb on that. It felt a bit odd at first but once I got used to it I found it to be a more comfortable playing position than any other bass. When I bought a Precision I had to put a pickup cover on that because I was so used to the smooth feel of it under my thumb on the Ric.

7. Largo.NPC

Largo.NPC

Aug 5, 2005
    Cheers for all the feedback there. I'm sure the pickups cover shouldn't be a problem really, I'm newish anyways, so can adjust my playing style a little untill im comfortable.

Still not able to find any ric copies or cheap rics :crying:

8. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Scrimp and save lad... what you save in pennies today will cost you more in regret down the road! ;)

Besides... there's nothing like a real Rickenbacker! :D

9. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    Just save up for a real Rick, they're worth it.

Also, Rick' is SUPER protective of their look (Head shape, body shape truss-rod cover shape, everything), they recently sued to have a budget maker stop production on their Rick' copies. You might find some used copies, I think Greko and Ibanez both made Rick' copies in the past (please correct me if I'm wrong). Again, I'd wait and get a real one.

~Paul :)

10. I don't think you should save up tehy are pretty expensive I've seen somewhere on these forums not sure where just search it about Ibanez copies they look exactly the same.

11. Yeah just go to search and type in Rickenfaker that gives you a few threads.

12. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    Or find a used one, they go for considerably less used.

13. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    The Rickenwaffen comb ebay for Ric clones and get ebay to shut down the auctions. I heard the old Japanese Ric clones were pretty nice basses though.

I thought Rics hardly deprecate in price? You can get them new for like $999US off online stores.

14. You can find a used 75-80' 4001 for no more than $900 on ebay if your lucky. The same can go for the 4003. Although I didnt get my 4001 off of ebay, I paid $850 and its a jetglo 77' 4001.

15. Largo.NPC

Largo.NPC

Aug 5, 2005
    That would be awsome, my band is a J-Rock band xD

I understand what everyone is saying with saving up for a real one, but I'm jobless and having a real hard time finding a job. Also, I passed my driving test back in May and still can't afford to actually get a car, so I need to save for that. Then there's my trip to Japan I have to save for. So I figured I'd get a cheap one now, and once I'm in a possition to do so, I'll go buy a real top ric.

Thanks for all the feedback by the way, big help, thanks alot.

16. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
  17. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Wow, I hope nobody buys that at that price. That's a bolt on model even. A neck-thru Electra Ric ho sold for like $300something Aussie dollars on our ebay.

18. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    Yeah, if you're lucky. the average right now for those years is around $1100. Hard to believe, but a bass made in 1980 is now considered "Vintage". It's funny how values jump a bit when theses things hit the 25 year mark.