1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rickenbacker & Hipshot D-Tuner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Uziel, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Uziel

Uziel

Sep 2, 2003
    France
    hi there !

i'ld like to know if it is possible to fit a rickenbacker 4003...
    will there be any problem ?? will the "thumb lever" hit the G key (for the worst) ??
    is a D-Tuner usefull ?

thanks

2. i thought the idea behind the d-tuner was clever. but after using one, i found it to be kind of annoying. seriously, it only takes 5 seconds to tune it yourself.

3. I find my Rick really doesn't lend itself to drop-tuning very well... even just the D. It sounds OKAY if I use very heavy guage strings, but Ricks don't generally have a very strong E string tone to begin with... must be the 33.25" scale.

--jeff

4. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Hi,
    I have a D-Tuner on my bass (Peavey Cirrus), and I love it. But to repeat what's been said above, it does only take 5 seconds to tune it yourself. Personally, I use it for mid-song tuning changes, and it comes in very handy there. Sorry, I cant say much about fitting it on a Rick... you could call Hipshot and ask.. they're very helpful on the phone.

-Jon

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Personally, I don't think I'd use a Hipshot drop-D on my Ric. I'd be worried about inducing a neck twist due to the dual truss rods and the change in tension on one side of the neck.