Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker & Hipshot D-Tuner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Uziel, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Uziel

Uziel

Sep 2, 2003
    France
    hi there !

i'ld like to know if it is possible to fit a rickenbacker 4003...
    will there be any problem ?? will the "thumb lever" hit the G key (for the worst) ??
    is a D-Tuner usefull ?

thanks

2. i thought the idea behind the d-tuner was clever. but after using one, i found it to be kind of annoying. seriously, it only takes 5 seconds to tune it yourself.

3. I find my Rick really doesn't lend itself to drop-tuning very well... even just the D. It sounds OKAY if I use very heavy guage strings, but Ricks don't generally have a very strong E string tone to begin with... must be the 33.25" scale.

--jeff

4. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Hi,
    I have a D-Tuner on my bass (Peavey Cirrus), and I love it. But to repeat what's been said above, it does only take 5 seconds to tune it yourself. Personally, I use it for mid-song tuning changes, and it comes in very handy there. Sorry, I cant say much about fitting it on a Rick... you could call Hipshot and ask.. they're very helpful on the phone.

-Jon

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Personally, I don't think I'd use a Hipshot drop-D on my Ric. I'd be worried about inducing a neck twist due to the dual truss rods and the change in tension on one side of the neck.