Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker -- inconsistent string volume

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by babecker, Oct 4, 2002.

1. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    Hopefully some of you might be able to help me out with this: The volume of the low E string on my 2002 4003 is noticeably lower than the other 3 strings. I've tried adjusting the height of the bridge pickup, but it hasn't helped. Has anyone else encountered this problem? If so, how did you remedy it? Thanks!

2. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
    If it is the same in either pickup position it is probably a dead string.

3. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Has it been this way since you got it?
    What brand of strings are on it?

4. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    I just got the bass recently -- funnily enough, I didn't notice it until I removed the plastic pickup cover...might this have something to do with it? It still has the stock (factory installed) rounds on it.

5. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
    Did you ever try changing the pick up selector and seeing if it is lowere on both? 10 to one you got a dead string. Change the whole set. I have never been happy with Ric strings. Just a warning though. Adjusting the intonation on Ric basses is a major pain.

6. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    The volume differential is more pronounced with the neck pickup soloed, which seems to suggest that the front pu is at fault; but, i'm not certain. It is true that I have yet to replace the strings, so that may be contributing to the problem. I just think it's strange that I didn't notice the lower volume/punch of the low E before I removed the pickup cover...could I have done something to the electronics/wiring?

7. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
    Its possible but not probable that reomoving the cover which is 100% plastic. One pole should not have been affected. My bet is on the d string.

8. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Mine had this same problem. I changed strings, lowered the saddle. Nothing helped.

9. My '01 4003JG suffers from the same problem. I've had quite a few different sets of strings on the thing (of different brands/guages) and only light guage seem to help the problem. I had some RS66LA's on there once (.85 E!) and the problem was virtually nonexistant.

Next set to go on will be RS99's, I'll report back with the results...

--jeff

10. Unless your RIC is diferent from mine you would have changed the pickup height when you removed the cover.

11. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
  12. I didn't remove the cover until over a month of having the bass (and it's been on and off a few times since...), and the problem has always been there. The neck pickup is always weak on the E side, as it's not adjustable. The treble pickup, however, I've managed to adjust to sort of balance things out, and I usually play with both pickups wide open anyway, hardly ever with just the neck pickup, anyway.

--jeff