Rickenbacker Lightshow bass? Who Knew.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darwin-bass, Jul 12, 2020.

1. darwin-bass

darwin-bass Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Salem OR
    Terrible video, but like Bigfoot or Nessie photos, you have to take what you can get.

Have any of you heard of this?

mattj1stc, Rezdog, mikewalker and 5 others like this.
  2. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    Yes... yes, I have. Not many were made, and they are rather rare now - especially if the light show function still works. They're a relic from a time when lots of manufacturers were trying all kinds of crazy things... And, of course (AFAIK) there were no leftys, so... just another thing I can't have...:rolleyes:

3. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
  4. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Who knew? Covered one in the book. Only five were made, according to the RIC CEO John Hall, but several have been made recently by craftsmen.

eddybuzzard, Ductapeman, PWRL and 5 others like this.
  5. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    I believe John Entwistle had one.

6. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    Not running the lights here, but it’s in this video.

eddybuzzard, pfern, mikeyjm2 and 6 others like this.
  7. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    That video is how I know.

I think the 4005 with lights is one bass Geddy Lee said he was on the hunt for.

8. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    The guitar version is super well known. And a big old fail, because the lights they used in the first version had a tendency to get so hot the plastic would melt.

There are a good number of conversions and repros that started happening after LED technology could mitigate the heat problem.

Rezdog and Rabidhamster like this.
  9. I’ve seen a total of 1 in the flesh at a huge guitar show probably 20 years ago at the Opryland Hotel. I can’t recall if a price was even posted or it may have been NFS.

10. Dabndug

Dabndug Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Somewhere in Oz
    One of the rarest Rickenbackers seen in the wild. Even rarer than the 4005/6 six string...

11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Many of us did. :)

BTW, your second sentence should end with a question mark. :D

Winslow, Ikkir and Pauly 4001 like this.
  12. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Well, I'll be dipped in :poop:... I would've just called bs on this one, but there it is. Can't say I really want one, but if I find it, I'll swap Geddy outta' something.

J_Bass likes this.
  13. Gosh:
    If only there was some way to see what might have happened in the past.

2tonic likes this.
  14. keith rosier

keith rosier Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Southern California
    That is one of the coolest looking basses I have ever seen--I want!

15. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    There was one in a display case at a music store in Victoria, circa 77 or 78. (this store specialized in school band instrument rentals, but had a few guitars too!) I got a real close look at it, enough to see they used the old-style mini frosted christmas tree lights inside...

Engle likes this.
  16. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    I was not aware until I read Geddy Lee's Big Beautiful Book of Bass. Apparently he tracked one down and now owns it.

Engle and TN WOODMAN like this.
  17. nickpc

nickpc

Jul 23, 2012
    North Carolina
    I was expecting that to end with "... had a tendency to throw some interference into the output signal."

Engle and mikewalker like this.
  18. Wilmingtonian

Wilmingtonian

Aug 20, 2011
    No, it wasn't a question. It was a statement, he knew that Entwistle knew. Could have been more clear if he kept the "the"... as in: "[The] Who Knew."

Dynacord likes this.
  19. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    Greetings from the North,

In Toronto late 70s early 80s New Wave scene there was a band called 'THE MODS'. The first time I saw them at Larry's Hideaway the lights went out during their set and the 4005 went into cosmic overload and the crowd went "Ooooooooo! Ahhhhhhh!" for a few minutes. Then the bass player switched back to his other Rickenbacker because it got to hot. Larry's didn't have any AC but it did have plenty of roaches and fun times lol.

Rezdog

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  20. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Finally a Ric that looks good.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021