Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker lovers please help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Aug 31, 2001.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I was at my local musicstore the other day. They are in fact the swedish agent for Rickenbacker.
    The salesperson told me that they would be getting a couple of new 4003 in a couple of weeks. One of them were supposed to be in a shorelinegold color. It´s a special color that is only made one year like the surfgreen they made before. Do you think I should jump on it or a more traditional black one??? Anyone seen any pics know any sites with pics of a 4001/4003 in gold?:confused:

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I just deleted my first reply to this, because I was wrong, wrong, wrong! Apparently "Desert Gold" is a brand new color for 2001. The Ric Page has these pictures of a 620 in the new color:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A very attractive color! It reminds me of the pewtery-gold color Honda and a few other auto manufacturers used a few years back.

I still prefer Fireglo.
    :D

4. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    A very interesting description of Desert Gold by a poster over on the alt.guitar.rickenbacker newsgroup:
    This sounds like a very interesting color, and I can't wait to see it in real life!

Jock, maybe you can reserve that 4003 with a refundable deposit so you can get first crack at it if you like it?

5. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I have a brand new 4003 (April 2001) in the Turquoise. There is a silver underspray applied in the painting process that should be the same as the desertglo you are looking at. That causes the chameleon like quality depending on how the light hits it. I say, go for the gold! Rickenbacker has not compromised its quality in any way that I can see over the years. You will not be disappointed.

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Max -

How's the new 4003 so far? Last time we typed, it was on order.

7. JJR

JJR

Jan 7, 2001
    Idaho
    I've got my order in for a gold one. I like the color ok but I know I'd hate myself if I passed the opportunity by (the Turquoise that Max has is still my favorite though).

Black will always be available every week of every year. Gold will not (particularly in Sweden I imagine). If you decide later that you don't care for the gold one, you can probably sell it at a profit or at least for what you paid for it.

If you like the gold at all then I would jump on it.

Or just buy both!

8. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Well, it's everything and more. I am astounded by the quality. I had an 86 4003 and played on a 79 4001 quite a bit that I did not own. Plus all the ones on the showroom floor I have tried over the years and I swear they get better. Tone wise I like both pickups engaged and the volume and tone turned all the way up. To me there's two voices in the sound it makes: a piano and a bass. Action is a little high but I'm going to take it in for a setup when I can handle being separated from it. Reminds me when I was a toddler and my security blanket was hanging out on the clothes line. I'd sit under it waiting for it to dry. Separation anxiety!

JJR any progress on posting a pic of your RIC arsenal?

9. Well, here's an unsolicited picture of my 4001V63 ;)

[​IMG]

10. Hmmm.....could not get the image to post, just the link to it. What am I doing wrong? I clicked on the little IMG button and put the address in, but it doesn't show the pic in my message.

11. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Max looks just like my friend's dad!

12. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Ain't that the truth - on Wednesday I sent my 4001 pickguard to Don in MN for a replacement to be made, so my Ric is unplayable for the duration. I'm going crazy!

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey jock

definitely, go for the gold!!! man, custom colors like that will only increase in value, and i've never seen a ric that looked bad ;)

14. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for all your answers. I agree that a rickenbacker looks great in any color. I will talk to the salesman and tell him to hold it for me. The problem is they don´t know at all when it´s arriving. The store only gets a call when it´s at the airport here, so they can´t tell me how long it will take. Waiting is a pain...:(

15. That would be the natural finish, also known as Mapleglo. The headstock is sandwiched between walnut wings. I love that look! :D

Thanks for asking :)

16. Hmm I'd like to see a JT model Ric.. You know, on the 5 string they didn't enlarge the fretboard.. hmm 7 strings on a 4 string neck :eek: g***tar :eek:

I however will mimic everyone else, BUY a RIC.. I know that will be my next bass :D Well, taht didn't take long. I think my jazz is like a month and a half old now :) damn GAS..