1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rickenbacker- modified : wiring problem?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zon6c-f, Aug 17, 2012.

1. I have a 1978 Rickenbacker 4001. It has been modified with Bartolini Jazz pups.

A looong while back, it was dropped..not by me.. in its hardshell case.

When I tested it [ mono] only bridge pup worked. Luckily for me, as I had other basses, so I "retired" the Rick.

As I have recently joined a working band with paying gigs, my wife suggested I have it repaired to fully functional.

I had taken it a looong while back to a repair guy who declared it was a bad toggle switch @ over $100 plus..without even opening it and looking at wiring.... So I set it aside and used other basses.

Current repair guy is baffled. I have supplied him with Rick schematics posted from T B , to no avail.

He says he can get it to function with cable jack half-way plugged-in but when fuilly plugged: Bridge pup only. He replaced the mono-jack... issue remains.

Current repair guy suggested that perhaps wiring was bad with the Barts or that using non-standard pups may be the culprit. Tom at Wagner/ Bartolini said it ain't the Barts; only difference between Bart Ricks and Bart Jazz is housing, otherwise same pups.

Any wiring wizzards have any ideas so I can remedy this cunundrum?

Thanks in advance...

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    If you lived in Colorado I would say bring it by my basement workshop and I would fix it.

I have wired up dozens of Rickenbackers.

Ric-o-sound can sometimes be a little quirky. I had a few Ricks where the Ric-o-sound was cutting out and I rewired the basses with 2 mono outputs. A lot of the Rics I owned were mono from the factory.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
  4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The mono jack on the Rick has a switch that switches the two outputs together for mono.

If he replaced the mono jack with a regular jack, then the bass wont work well.

Two possibilities;

He might have plugged the mono cable into the stereo jack. That will give you only one pickup.

Or it could be that there is a short in the non working pickup's circuit, and plugging the plug all the way into the jack is causing that pickup to short out both. Pulling the plug out halfway switches the bass back into stereo.

5. Thanks to all.

I called repair guy [ GC Fayetteville, Ga] and read him quotes from replies above. Says "Rick should be ready next week; many projects ahead of [mine] ".

HE/ We expected it to be a quick-fix..BUT Noooooooo. Last week, he tried to fix-it-while-I-waited; would have been great!!....

Fingers crossed. I am betting with S G D Lutherie.

If the S G D Lutherie solution wins; expect great kudos here on T B.. and IF NOT.. All advice is appreciated.

6. Bad news: I called G C repair guy todsy, as this is "next week" already.

Admits he's stumped, "..can't do a thing with it..got me stumped".

Good news..He says as he did not repair it..No charge for time invested.

I may not like that my bass is dysfunctional, but he has my respect for honesty and "No Charge" .

Anyone know a repair shop in Atlanta with a good qualified Rick 4001 Bass person?

Thanks in advance...