Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker : most reliable finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JayAmel, Mar 8, 2002.

1. MapleGlo (natural)

20 vote(s)
    54.1%
  2. JetGlo (black)

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  3. FireGlo (sunburst)

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi,

Following to the problems I experienced with my defective Rickenbacker White 4003, I'm on the way to have it refunded by my dealer. And I found another dealer who has all models and finishes in stock, immediately available (great guy, indeed).

Now my dilemma is the following : given that I have the choice, what finish should I choose ? I like MapleGlo, JetGlo and eventually FireGlo (when it perfectly fades from near-black to light orange, as seen on the Rickenbacker site 4000 series bass pages).

Since my hesitation is quite unsolvable, I think I can determine the finish I'll choose regarding to its reliability. So I would like to know, in a general way, which one of these finishes does resist best to time ? Which one does keep its gloss best ? Which does fade the least ?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and experiences,

Best,

2. Note that I have almost no personal experience with Ricks.

I'd say that common sence says that Mapleglo lasts longer than the other ones. It's a see-through finish so even if it faded somehow you would be hard pressed to notice.

I'd kill for a Jetglo Rick though. :)

3. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    What was defective with your finish? I think they all wear pretty evenly...I mean, they all use the same exact finish...sure they have different paint or no paint at all, but the gloss is the same. With aht said I've seen 70s basses that still look shiny.

4. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    The problem I experienced with my latest 4003 was not a finish problem, but a neck problem.

Just thinking that what may help me take a decision for the finish of my new Rick could be reliability...

5. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    My 76 4001 MapleGlow still shines like it was new.
    Doc

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    My old man has a '75 Ric 4001 with a Mapleglo finish and it still looks great.

7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Mapleglo is not my fovourite RIC finish, but I really believe that it is the most "reliable" finish that RIC has ever made. Jetglo will dull, and I don't like the pink in the current version of Fireglo that has been used for the past 15 yrs. If I was to buy a new RIC it would be finished in Mapleglo!
    My favourite RIC finish is Burgundyglo from 68-73. Which is a beautiful dark rich colour. My 72 4001 is finished in BG and I love it.
    In fact, here's a pic of me and the old girl.
    Cheers,

8. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Didn't have this one long enough to know how it fades, tho :p...

[​IMG]

My assumption was that when you have a "natural" finish, they have
    to use a slightly better hunk o' wood; can't cover-up knots and such
    like with a solid finish.

9. My Jetglo is not even a month old and it already has attracted numerous hairline scratches and other nastiness. Not noticable unlesss you're looking close up at the right angle, but still... JetGlo is a scratch magnet. But GOOD GOD is it ever gorgeous!!!

--jeff

10. another vote for maple glo. except when I get mine I may order it with the black trim option, that's got to look awesome!

btw, I don't know if it's more reliable, but it sure looks good.

11. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i own and play a 1979 mapleglo 4001. the finish is the one that stands the test of time better. my rick is lovely and compared to jetglo and fireglo of the same age it looks better. no paint that can change color like the fireglo or crack like the jetglo.

12. You lot make me laugh...reliable finish? Sheesh, they're all the same. Just look after the beast and play it. At the end of the day it's a bloody bass guitar, not an object d'art...

13. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I have a brand new Turquoiuse glo and it's absolutely beautiful. Ocean green. Despite my babying, it's got a couple of little scratches already. Pickguard is developing pick scratches. I just keep telling myself, it's a bass for life, it's going to wear. They're just too great to have to remain perfect and leave in the case.

14. I agree completely. The fact that I find "new" little marks, dings, etc every now and then reassures me that i'm being active with it. Not dissing on those who baby their instruments (i'm pretty careful myself), but at the end of the day it's a tool in your hands.

15. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Sure Nil, and wear does not bother me that much, though I'm very careful with my instruments. However, some opaque varnishes often hide ugly pieces of wood, as well as some finishes tend to fade or yellow much faster than some other ones.

In the end, I agree with you that this won't change what you play and how it sounds anyway, but an obnoxious issue I lately experienced made me a bit paranoid :)

16. tonru

tonru

Mar 15, 2002
    i ordered a ric 4003 jetglo lefty as my first bass,so i voted for a mapleglo for you.

i almost went with a mapleglo myself. still have 2 months of a 5 month wait to go,so i won't turn back now.

the best thing about getting a lefty is that none of my friends will want to fiddle with it long.

17. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I have both Mapleglo and a Midnight Blue 4003's and both finishes have held up great. I take good care of my stuff but the minor accidents happen now and then and the Mapleglo is easiest to touch-up (obviously). I'd go with whatever color you like best and just take care of it the best you can and don't sweat the nicks/scratches too much.
    By the way, what is the problem with the neck on yours. My Midnight Blue was perfect for a few months then I noticed the inlays started cracking. I sent it back Ric and they "refurbished" everything and sent it back like new (took about a month). Just pointing this out because you have a nice color combo and I would stick with the white/black if possible. JMO.

Brian Crisman

18. Jaylanb, have you considered montazuma brown(new for 2003)...I own a "82"4001 in walnut that has held up very well(also kinda rare). both finishes are close to the autumglo basses of the 60's & 70's)..the new montazuma brown is more like a tobacco sunburst..being black on the edges and fading to a nice golden,honey color in the center,with about every shade of brown in between...really nice... I really wish Ric would bring back the black binding and hardware package,that would be sweet:)

19. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    I was curious about this topic because I'm looking for my first 4003. Let me point out that finishes don't just fade over time, light-colored finishes like white and cream will actually "burn" under stage lights, just like sunburn.

I imagine the Jetglo would be most resistant to burn, but cracking isn't a good thing either. Maple looks good burnt in my opinion. I have to wonder what a burned Fireglo would look like?

20. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Rickenbacker fireglos tend to turn a little more orange over the years.