Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker mute

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by olps, Jun 8, 2002.

1. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    When did they stop pruducing mutes on thier basses?? Thanks.

2. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    If your talking about the mute pads, the 4003's still have them.

3. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    I meant the adjustable mutes. Not like saddles, but they are after the saddles, but still part of the bridge. I saw it on a 1973 Ric.

4. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    They are still there.

5. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Those things are a pain! If you want to mute with your palm , you can't due to the bridge piece being in the way...I think its a design flaw. (Like your going to roll up the mutes mid-song? C'mon!) What I did with an old 4001 was take out the mute and dropped in a J pickup(w/o the cover) into the space...3 way ricosound!

6. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Not a design flaw, just an old design. They were designed for bassist who wanted the sound of an up-right, and kept them set that way all the time. I believe this was most popular in the 50's.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hell, I leave my mute up most of the time - I like thump!

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im dying to have somekind of mute in the bass Im designing.

As cool as the one on the Rick is, the Ovation Magnums had the best!

Just flick te lever and its there, push it back and its gone!

I wish I had one.

Peace
    Nick

9. you can buy adjustable, switchable mutes to add to any bass. i think the name is............get ready for this........years of thought must have gone into it........'the bass mute'. fodera's the US distributor for them. www.bassmute.com is their website.

if i can afford it, it'll be on the 6 i'm building.

10. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    'the bass mute'

I've got one on order for my upcoming 6-string bass. They're designed by Dutch luthier Elio Martina; the parts are manufactured in Germany and and they get assembled in Holland.

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah Ive heard of this, and I e-mailed Fodera, but that was at least 2 weeks ago and I still havent gotten a response!

Ive always had bad luck with this kind of thing.

Peace
    Nick

12. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Anybody ever heard of foam?

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yes I have.

Actually I have tried using foam weather stripping attached to wood blocks, but the problem is making sure they stay secure, yet can quickly be removed.

I have messed around with a few designs, but all come up short either in design flaws or the lack of equipment to build one.

The foam on a piece of wood thing does work however, just as long as I decide to leave it for a while.

Peace
    Nick

14. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I just wedge a chunk of foam as close to the saddles as I can get, whenever I want to "Go Jamerson". The charm of Rics is their natural twang, so I can't see why anyone would want to work against what it does best. My choice for thump would have to be a P-bass/dead flats/foam combo.