Rickenbacker neck / bridge pickup difference

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by yaryaryaryar, Jan 18, 2018.

1. yaryaryaryar

yaryaryaryar

Mar 27, 2016
    I'm thinking about putting together a weird frankenbass that has Ric pickups. I don't have much interest in putting the giant bridge pickup contraption in this bass, so the question is: would there be any downside to putting a "neck" pickup in the neck position and also a "neck" pickup in the bridge position? Are there any physical/tonal differences between the bridge pickup and the neck pickup that I should be aware of?

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the ric bridge pickup is considerably bigger and more powerful than the neck pickup.

i suppose you could just use two neck pickups, but you'd have a different overall sound from a real ric and you would want to adjust the actual neck pickup pretty far from the strings to keep it balanced with the bridge pickup.

could still be cool though. i'm thinking of like hofners and gretsch basses and such.

3. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Do it. I think people make too much fuss over neck/bridge distinctions. Just use two necks, and adjust height to taste.

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Get HB-1 humbuckers, like used in the 4004, and you're golden:

PICKUP ASSY HB1 650/4004 CHR

They're also used in the 650 series guitars.

ctmullins likes this.
  5. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021