Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker neck issues...looking for opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike_v_s, Aug 22, 2004.

1. In my youth I was fortunate enough to purchase a used Rickenbacker 4001. Being quite naive, I promptly strung it with roundwounds, played the hell out of it, and let the local shop do all of the neck adjustments. The neck eventually developed cracks running parallel to the fret board, apparently from the rods pushing against it.

After I learned the cause of this problem, I quite playing the instrument, and it has sat since. Now the reason for my post:
    is this repairable (to the best of your knowledge given my basic description), and how much am I looking at spending? Your thoughts are appreciated.

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    It might be able to be repaired with A LOT of money. But it would be best to put that baby to rest :crying: . You can find plenty of 4001-3's on Ebay.

3. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Dude, your bass can be saved. A good luthier can perform miracles. I own a '74 4001 that almost had it's headstock snapped clean off. The luthier that I took it too noit only fixed it, but if I did not tell you anything about the incident you would never be able to tell. At the time that set me back about $300. Was it worth it? I would like to think so, but that will have to be your decision. :p

4. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    hell if you wanna put that horse down, ill take it off your hands : )

5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    You might want to post a question in the Luthier's forum. I'm glad I like the action on my 4001...I'm afraid to trust anybody with a set up!

My fairly uneducated guess - if you think you'll want to keep it, it'll possibly be less than buying another (plus the sentimental value). If you're not sure you want it, you might want to sell it as is. I'm not gonna guess a number.

Hope it works out for you.

Marshall

6. Thanks for the info. I'll repost in the luthier's forum. Bass_man86: It's good to know someone had similar problems and the bass survived.

Mike

7. Incase you dont find any awnsers that your looking for here...you might want to try the Ric forums..a hell of alot more Ric players there...some of them bound to have gone through the same thing.
    Its hard to assess the damage without actually seeing it. Did you ask your tech if there was anything he thought he could do?

Ric forums are found here:
    http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/mccorp/framespage.html

Good luck!

8. The last person to work on it was, uh, uninformed. This was at least 5 years ago. Since then, I have moved and tested the waters at the local GC in New Orleans by asking a few ric-related questions. The answers I recieved were a little shaky, so I have decided not to chance it. Short answer: I don't have a tech. There are numerous stores within 100 miles, but none is a Rickenbacker dealer (except GC, but they don't stock them and don't know anything about them). Thanks for the forum link, I'll give it a try.

Mike

9. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Why not call the PROs at RIC and talk to them about it.

RIC:714-545-5574

10. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    When I lived in New Orleans I was acquainted with a bass player named Jim Markway who turned me on to a luthier named Sal Giordano who lives on the West Bank. Awesome luthier. Try to track him down and see if he can help.

11. Thanks for the tip on Sal. I was actually given his name and number just yesterday by a small local shop. I've been told to expect a wait as he is apparently notoriously busy.

I also spoke to Kyley Boyd at Boyd's Basses. While he was not able to help me himself, he said he would let me know if anyone came to mind.

tim4003: While I'll probably give Rickenbacker a ring, I'm fairly sure their answer will be limited to "take it to an authorized Ric dealer" (which is GC), or "send it to us". I'd rather not mail it to California. Judging from the research I've done and a few testimonials, I'm pretty sure the bass is repairable; its just a question of how much and by whom.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. It'll probably be another few weeks before I can seriously discuss this with a professional. I'll let y'all know.

Mike