Rickenbacker. New vs Old

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Heaven, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Bass Heaven

Bass Heaven

Jul 27, 2005
    How do the new Rickenbacker 4003's compair to a 1984 era 4003. I had a 1984 that I bought new and sold it a few years later but I've been thinking of getting a new one someday.
  2. The new 4003s don't have some electronics voodoo (more technical TB, help me out here!) that inhibited the low end in the old 4001s and older 4003s. From what I hear, though, the build quality and playability have remained relatively static on Ricks throughout the years. BTW, a 2005 Rick just went on sale in the "for sale" forum for $700 (!) if you're interested. You would be hard pressed to find a better price, if it's in good condish.
  3. Alright, here's the deal. There are a couple of threads already on this topic, like "Rickenbacker New vs Old." Also, a more knowledgable TB'er than I (Thornton Davis) posted the following in it (re: that electronics voodoo I mentioned):
    The link is at http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206822&highlight=Rickenbacker+4001
  4. By most accounts Rickenbacker quality has been very consistent though the years. Personally, I would go an an instrument by instrument basis.

Some say that the newer 4003s have a thicker neck than older models. Overall, the 4003 newer neck/truss rod design seems to be more robust than the 4001. With the original 4001 models you need to be careful about adjusting the truss rods so that you don't pop off the fingerboard. I like my 4001 more than more other Rics I have played, but there have been a few that I've liked, like the 4001CS Reissue (Chris Squire).

My 1982 4001 came with the capacitor in circuit on the bridge pickup. I've since bypassed it with a switch. The bridge pickup is actually very powerful once bypassed, but sounds quite thin with the capacitor. This is a common mod on the 4001.