1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker not as good....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kazuya, Feb 22, 2008.

1. kazuya

kazuya

Oct 26, 2007
    I would first like to say, i love the rickenbacker, its the sexiest bass out there. I plan to buy one when im much better at playing bass. But im a memeber of the MSTRKRFT forums, and Jesse Keeler(former bassist of DFA1979) replies to alot of questions. Well this is a post he recently made-
    (they are talking about how he uses the rick on tour so he wouldnt damage his grabber which he used to record all the dfa records.)

"well, the grabber is much harder to play, but the tone is much more full and in some ways reliable. like, if you hit a note on the grabber, its gonna sound true. the rick was more like playing a guitar but sometimes notes just wouldnt ring out. i used to keep my action real high cause i liked the clarity of the sound even at speed, but doing that with the rick didnt work out nearly as well. i adjusted how i played to work with it, just because my wrists were getting ****ed up from the grabber.

the rick's sound was a big problem as well. you know that feedback **** at the beginning of 'turn it out' ? well, the stock rick COULD NOT MAKE THAT SOUND. and i had to basically re-do all the wiring to make it work. i removed the switch, the caps and just had the pickups going straight to the volume... even removed the tone controls. i was desperate to get the output up and i used big gauge wires. i left the dead knobs and switches on there just for show.

also, like i said before, the rick is a fragile design and the wood warps over time. the tuning is now permanently out on the frets above 13, so its sorta just for fun now. the grabber still holds 100% on though. gibson always rules. i never wanted a grabber though, i wanted a G3 but i gave up trying to find one and just got the grabber. i had to drive to ottawa to get it actually. i wonder sometimes if the guy in that little store has any idea what i did with that bass.

j f k "

Im just cursious to how true, or if this or any problems have ever occured with the ricks.
    thanks

2. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Ask Lemmy from Motorhead!

What's DFA1979?

3. Unless I'm mistaken, it's 'Death From Above 1979.'

I think I saw them open for NIN at teh Bell Centre here in Montréal...

4. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    His opinion I guess...

5. I suppose it could be true if you keep it out of a case in an attic that is not environmentally controlled----and you went up there once in awhile to throw it around.

But mine is a 1973 and does not experience any----repeat ANY----of those problems.

6. TheIrishOx

TheIrishOx

Feb 22, 2008
    Illinois
    My experience with rickenbackers are not too bad. To me I think rickenbackers have a unique sound all thier own and you really can't find another bass like it, but the only problem I had with it is that its hard to dial any other sound out of it, but that is my opinion. Anyways, I haven't any problems with them but of course I never had one for a long period of time.

7. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    :eek:

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Otoh, Geddy's bass tech tells how Geddy's J basses need constant tweaking, whereas his Ric was set up at the start of a tour, and needed no such futzing. My expirience with Rics tells me that they are not fragile, and once set up properly, they're good to go. And, sounds wicked.

9. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada

If he's gonna be such a little ***** about the "problems" and design he should of never used it for a touring bass:rollno:

There are cheaper basses out there that will pull off that stuff he wanted.

10. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    no offense to any death from above fans (if such a thing exists) but it seems almost as if this guy doesn't really know what he's talking about.

11. I guess Ricks do what Ricks do... You don't have to like what the Rick does. You don't have to use the Rick.

I had a Rick for around 6 years. I hated it. I hoped it would "grow" on me or something. It never did. It felt and played doggy, it never sounded like I imagined a Rick to sound.

I love the results many people get with Ricks- they're just not for me.

12. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    +1

I just can't listen to a 'professional' bass player that doesn't understand what intonation is, or how to adjust it. Yes, it's more difficult on a Rick. But not impossible.

13. +2 That was my initial reaction---causes one to question the guy's talent and skills as well.:eyebrow:

14. .....hmmm

Been playing Rics since 1970, never had such "immense" problems as this "obviously" skilled bass player......guess I am just lucky....:D

15. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    yeah, that's the main thing that grabbed my attention. would it be wrong to call him a n00b?

indeed it does
    well, if you run out of luck there's always talented bassists like him to help you out:p

16. +3.

17. I'm a huge DFA fan (since before they had to attach 1979) but seriously I don't think Jesse was very dedicated to what we are used to thinking of bass or guitar. He just wants his sound, which is a highly distorted feedback riddled comma inducing rock off. I think you would need to customize your bass to get a tone as unique as his. He always said in interviews that he loved house music more than anything so I'm kinda glad that he's in MSTRKRFT now, even though I'm not a huge fan.
    Also we need to take into account (although this is way more true with guitarists than bassists) that sometimes the musicians who's music we love aren't necessarily the most sane people. Maybe he just heard rumors about the old 4001's combination of a thin neck and dual truss rod giving problems if not taken care of properly.
    Lastly we need to take into account it's just some guys opinion.

18. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    True, but he seems disoriented about what he's doing. I must admit I've never heard him, is this a good player?

19. I'm going to guess that he had the action set too high and probably had high-tension strings on it, which would very likely do the bass in, especially if it was an old 4001. I'll also agree that he probably wasn't familiar with the way they intonate. Heck, throw in improper truss rod adjustment, and you have a recipe for disaster there.

I never had those problems with mine. I kept standard Rickenbacker roundwounds on both my 4003s, and I keep TI Jazz Flats on my 4001. I also had them professionally set up by a good shop and kept them that way. Whatever happens when somebody does something with the bass that it wasn't meant to, I guess I don't really know. I never had any serious issues with any of my Ricks, and my 4001 is rock-solid.

But I'm not really not trying to bash the guy or something. It sounds like it was just the wrong bass for him. They really aren't for eveybody. In that case, there's no reason for him to play one. He should just play what he likes. Just trial and error.
    As far as not ringing out, when I had the Rick rounds on my 4001, it sounded like a piano.

20. From wikipedia:
    Well he's been in different bands (currently MSTRKRFT) but I'd have to say the most famous was Death From Above 1979. I don't think he's a great bassist but what made the band great was a hard to describe mix of solid dancable riffs, crazy distorted bassguitar, erratic intense singing from a drummer, and the energy of their live show, which was one hell of show from just two guys.

hmmmmm searched for some video of their live playing that could show it but you kinda have to be there... anyway here's a video of a song... with litebrites

The best recorded performance was on Conan Obrien where Max Weinberg took over on dums half way through. Not on Youtube anymore though... stupid nbc