1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker NYC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ferniff, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Not even sure if this was the appropriate place for this post but it didn't seem appropriate to put into the "Sales" section. Anyways I live in NYC and went over to the Sam Ash right by Time Square. While they didn't have it in stock at the time, they said they sell Rickenbacker 4003 with the case for about 1900 (Not sure if that's including tax or not). What do you guys think about the price? While I wouldn't want to pay that much, I'd feel much better buying from a place like Sam Ash or Guitar Center because if I get a faulty unit, I could always exchange it as oppose to buying a used one from someone and taking a huge risk.

tl;dr version:Is $1,900 for a Rickenbacker 4003 (with case) from Sam Ash too much?

If it helps, I want the Fireglo finish

2. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    Yes. $1900 for a 4003 is way too much.. depending on the finish. Likely, if it's of the usual colors, then yes, $1900 is too much. You should expect to pay anywhere from $1600 to $1750 new. Used dependin on the condition, anywhere between $1300 to $1700.

3. tinman 1967

tinman 1967

Mar 6, 2010
    Rocinante is exactly on the new price mark here. I have done a bit of snooping around to differents distributers, and this is the new price you can expect to pay..... I wonder why you see them getting sold on the internet auction site we all know and love for a few hundred more? Ever notice how they all say.... "Unplayed!" Never been handled, or have seen the light of day!

Yeah.... OK, I could get a new Rick and never even take it out of its case!

SURE!!

4. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    They're 'listed' on ebay for more, but I believe very rarely (if ever) sold for more, except outside of N. America. Often the price in Australia and Europe is closer to double what you'd expect to pay in the US.

Shouldn't be hard to find a dealer with a FG 4003, it is the most common finish.
    You can check the dealer locator section on the RIC site to find one nearby and what has been shipped recently.
    You have to contact the dealer to verify what is actually in stock, and to get a price quote.

Some dealers will sell for around $1900, many will do better.

5. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    Wow that price point for new sounds quite tempting! I have always wanted a Ric 4003 in JetGlo, but always remembered them being upwards $2k (sales tax included), which is a little expensive for me. But it just might be the time to pull the trigger if I can get one around $1800!

6. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    If you don't buy and sell a lot, you might not know about the price matching deal.
    I did over-pay for mine, but I'm still happy I got it, I wouldn't trade it for another.

However, $1650 seems to be the lowest most dealers will do, and that's not too bad for new with full warranty (in North America).
    Worth every penny, money don't make music.

7. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    1. You can get a new Ric for much less.

2. If you buy new from a recognized dealer and get a defective Ric, you can exchange it per the factory warranty no matter where you buy it from. You just have to call RIC up and send the bass back and if it's defective they'll replace it.

8. Thank you, everyone has been very helpful here. I hope to buy one at the end of this year