Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker on the bay!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Suckbird, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
  2. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Someone needs to let homeslice know he can take that cover off. ;)

3. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I don't understand why these Rics keep going over $1000.00. Don't Musician's Friend and probably the rest of the online places sell them for $999 or something new? I can see if it was an older vintage bass but this is exactly the same as you can buy today from a dealer as far as I can tell. What am I missing?

4. RedVette

RedVette

Jan 1, 2005
    Medford, OR
    The list price on Rick basses ranges from $1639 to $2089. Street prices are maybe $300 to $500 off these prices. So, a mint bass is a good deal at $1000.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I disagree completely when you can buy a new one for less. Almost all the online dealers have BRAND new 4003 for $975 to $999. I don't get this ebay phenomenon either. I don't even bother looking at them on ebay any more, because of this.

6. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Go to the musician friend website and have them send you an email for the 4003. New price with a case is just under $1000.

Makes me wanna buy one every week and then sell it on ebay for $1200.

7. Psychdave

Psychdave

Apr 4, 2005
    Valencia, CA
    Yep just bought a brand new Fireglo 4003 well under $1000, they set it up pretty well, checked it out, double box shipped, took less than a week to get here, it kills..... why pay for one on Ebay where you know the guy bought it and probably didn't like it? Oh well.

Slight off topic.. Other peoples Rics I have played, the treble PU was always much stronger than the Neck PU, mine is really well balanced. Is this new for Ric? Find I am using both PUs for different sounds and usually in combination.. :D

8. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    When stupid Ebayers sell basses, they always end up being way too expensive. I can't tell you how many times I've seen Tobias Toby basses selling for 2 or 3 times what they're worth brand new. They don't seem to actually get sold, though. People selling OLP MM's for $300!? I hope no one actually goes for these "deals".

-Eric.

9. pepsican

pepsican

Oct 23, 2004
    iowa
    I think the price has a lot to do with availability. Right now MF has all colors but jetglo in stock, but usually they don't have one if any in stock. There is a lot of demand for these basses and a lot of impatient people that want it NOW. Plus people on ebay get far too addicted to it and overbid.

10. People looking for one don't see them new in their local music store and don't do research on where to buy one at a good price. My favorite place to buy a new Rickenbacker is Pick Of The Ricks, there are several other places to buy a Rick bass at a good price. They just might not have every model in every color all the time.

Like pepican said, there are many impatient people who don't want to wait a while for a Rick they want, so they over pay for one on ebay.

I waited almost 17 months for my trans red 4004/5Cii to arrive.

11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    :eek:
    You have one of these?!

Have you done a review somewhere? I'm very curious!

12. benjamin

benjamin

Apr 12, 2004
    Houston
    i'm thinking about selling my rick on ebay, now that i see how high they sell... its a year old and ive played the hell out of it so theres a few knicks on the back and by the tuning pegs, also i took the pick guard off, but i could probably still get it up to like $900.

funny, since i got it brand new in a store here for around $800 :ninja:

13. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Yah even dinged ricks are expensive on teh bay!

14. Sooo awesome.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think people pay too much on ebay for ricks because lots of stores arent allowed to show Ricks prices unless you call them so they assume its way up there. Whafrodamus sold his rick , a few years old mind you, on ebay for over $900. My local shop just sold a new rick for that price, same color.

16. Palm rest? That's not a palm rest, it's a speed bump and it can be removed in about ten minuites. Lotsa Ric owners remove it.

17. I don't have one 4004/5Cii...

...I have two!!! :cool:

I have not posted a review anywhere, but maybe I should.

4003 Pickup Cover Removal:

It is very easy to get the cover off the new 4003 basses. Just undo the two pickup height adjustment screws but don't pull them out so the springs stay with the screws. Let the pickup assembly drop in the cavity. Squeeze the ends of the pickup cover until you can get it out, it won't break. Hold up the pickup mount assembly do that you can get the screws back in the holes. Tighten the screws to the desired pickup height, you're done. It's much more of a pain to do with 4001 basses and 4003 basses made before the late 80's.

18. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Please do! these get asked about regularly (not just by me!), and mostly no one has seen one in the flesh.

I see from your website that the neck pup position is very different on the two basses. Interesting.

19. Supposedly RIC will now make all the Cheyenne Basses with the pickups in the position of my trans red 5Cii. With the neck pickup right up to the neck, the routing makes it easier to remove the truss rods if they have to be removed for repair.

20. hmmm, dude, that kinda depends on where you live I guess... an MM OLP for 300 USD (as long as its brand new) is a reasonable deal compared to their price in stores here (Portugal)... last one I checked was 500 EUR...
    :meh: I hate this country.