Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RICKENBACKER or FENDER

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SUNBURST, Sep 16, 2002.

1. SUNBURST

SUNBURST

Sep 14, 2002
    I am almost ready to purchase the Bass that I want. Only problem is I cant make up my mind of which of the 2 I like that I should buy. Need some help and opinons from you out there on which to get. Which of the 2 would you pick? All opinions greatly appreciated.

FENDER AMERICAN SERIES JAZZ BASS

RICKENBACKER 4003
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    Ric, without a doubt, for any reason you can think of...playability, tone, craftsmanship, etc.

3. Play both, and figure out which your hands and ears like more.

Then, play some other brands, because it's not the '70s anymore and there are definitely more options out there.

4. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I like the Ric more than the Fender because it just feels more well made IMHO. However, as Peter McFerrin said, try them out yourself and compare, then look at other brands before you make your choice. Maybe a used Stingray/Sterling?

Hope that was helpful.

5. I agree with Mr. Smug, even though I am, as I type this, waiting for the bass to come in on Cygnus X-1 to play along on my Rick 4003.

There's a lot of variety at this price point - try a few basses and figure out which one suits you best.

I'd love a jazz bass, but the Rick just suits me. It's like driving a Saab - weird proportions, quirky feel, unusual sound, but if it's your bag, baby, then it's your BAG, BABY!!!

--jeff

6. MorganM

MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    I remember trying to make this decision a few years back as to what my first bass was going to be.
    Since that time I have owned 2 '70s 4001's and waiting for my new 4003 to arrive. I see you understand the road I traveled and still don't regret it.

The funny thing is, I still haven't ever picked up a Fender. I have mean't to but I keep getting more Rickenbackers, go figure.

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    it will be an easty match. these are really different basses in consruction, feel and expecially sound. be sure to try one of both and you'll hear that they are two completeley different worlds.

good luck

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Like everyone else here seems to be saying - try them, and see which one you're happier with!!!! You might find it's no contest!!!!

Now, my personal choice would be the Fender - 'cos I just don't get on with Rics, they just ain't my thing. However, I'd also check out Peter's advice - go see what else is on the market, there's a lot more choice now than the classics.
    I went that road and have since ended up with 3 Spectors!!!:)

9. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    If you can afford it, get both.
    Cheers. :cool:

10. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    While I do agree that he should try all brands before picking a bew bass....he specifically asked for a choice between two.
    If you have yet to play either the Ric or the Fender......GO DO IT.........our opinions mean nothing compared to yours since you are the one that has to spend the money and live with your decision. If you have tried them and like them both equally.....just freakin' pick one to buy now and buy the other at a later time.....easy enough.
    If you just want some owner opinions......I say get the Ric. Great tone and character and fits my hands and playing style like no other. I have never cared much for Fender products myself but they may be just the ticket for you.

11. As I read from your profile, you have already owned a Jazz in the past and gotten rid of it for some reason or another. Did you like your old Jazz or did you get tired of it because you couldn't make it sound like a Ric?:confused:

12. SUNBURST

SUNBURST

Sep 14, 2002
    To all that replied Thanks! First of all its great to post on a forum where you wont be ridiculed for even a simple question, it shows the high caliber of the site and the people who contribute to it. As far as the Jazz Bass I had in the past we are talking 30 years ago, it was used in a garage band type of workout and I will admit I was a novice then and I still am as I have not touched a Bass in the 30 years. You could say that I am buying one of these for historical reasons as well as to foddle around with at the house. Both are very famous brands and models so that is why I am going to buy one or the other first. Maybe down the road I will get the other to have. Not that I am going to sell but I would like your opinion on both as to future value. You all know the high price tags on the earlier models but what are you thoughts on the current models as far as collectibility and value in the future. Thanks again.:D

13. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    My first instinct is to tell you to go play 50 different basses in your price range and not limit yourself to thos two choices. If you have your mind made up then I would go for the Ric. :)

14. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    When my Rick was stolen, I replaced it with a Jazz.

15. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    man,... this is the same like debating if you want ketchup or mayonaise with your frites! :rolleyes:

16. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    Why not get a deluxe P-bass? They now make them with both p and j-style pickups. and then rob a bank and get a ****load of rickenbackers

17. MorganM

MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    how should I know if I want ketchup or mayonaise if I don't even know what FRITE is?

hehehe :p

18. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey sunburst, I too took a little time off from my quest. I see from your frofile your no young lad. playing bass in the seventies I was in love with the ric bass but it felt funny in my hands. My favorite bass player in funkadelic just totally ripped one. No matter how much I liked it I came to realize it was limited in what I would use is for. P-FUNK yeah, motown no good. take into consideration what type of music you want to play, then still try both to see with will fill your needs the most. Then decide.

19. SUNBURST

SUNBURST

Sep 14, 2002
    PYROHR Point well taken, if the shoe fits, so to say.
    .:p :p

20. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    I'll have both please...ketchup and mayonaise.
    Cheers. :p